LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA does not work after deploying

Solved!
Go to solution

I wrote a program to control an Arroyo 5305 TECSource which is connected via USB. The program runs fine in the editor but ceases to work once I deploy it.

So I found this article which tells you to rather compile to an installer and include the VISA runtime, so I did that (I think, the interface looks a bit different) but had no success. The executable won't even work on my development machine.

My LabVIEW version is 2013 - 13.0f2

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,771 Views)

Hi TaSi,

you should get any error messages in your VIs when there is a problem with VISA…

Which errors do you get? How do you handle them in your VIs?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(2,759 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TaSi

Did you install the version of VISA that came with your LabVIEW 13?

Your NI-MAX shows you are trying to install VISA runtime 5.2.

According to http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53413/en/ you need to install at least version 5.4

Message 3 of 6
(2,746 Views)

I connected all the "error in"s and "error out"s of the VISA related VIs and write them to an "error out" indicator on the front panel.

I don't get any errors though, neither in the deployed version or in the editor.

The working VISA resource name in the editor is ASRL3::INSTR.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,745 Views)

Installing version 16.0, the last supported version for 2013, solved my problem.

When the installer asked me which VISA runtime to install, I only found 5.2 on my machine and I did not question it ...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,736 Views)

Good to hear.  You might have had VISA 5.2 on there when you installed an older version of LabVIEW with all the drivers.  Probably LabVIEW 2009.

Then later installed LabVIEW 2013 but didn't reinstall the VISA drives which would have upgraded them to version 5.4 which is the first version to support LV 2013.  Using VISA 16.0 is good and that is the latest version to support LV 2013.

Message 6 of 6
(2,732 Views)