LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Timeout Error

Hello, 

I was wondering if I could receive help with this error I am encountering. I double checked everything to ensure it wasn't a common error (as far as I can tell). My baud rate and everything matches with the current system running, and the RS232 is working correctly. Also, the vi was working correctly with no errors prior to today. If anybody has tips, that would be great. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(741 Views)

Make sure no one has messed with your setup while you were away - like turning off the equipment, for instance.  It's happened to me before.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(709 Views)

It's usually in frequent use. However, it's quite odd that it happened out of the blue. I am wondering if this could be a result of the read buffer being 134 and the sent command being 6 as that's the only other error within the vi. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(680 Views)

I am missing subVIs. Can you attach subVIs? It's hard to tell debug, but have you tried using "NI Visa test panel" to check if it's working? Can you attach the real code? You mentioned baudrate, but when I open your attached code, I don't see where you are setting baudrate.

GRCK5000_0-1688661927073.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(666 Views)

I attached the driver as a zip file, that will have all the necessary vis. I should mention that this is not my work, it is a watlow driver found on LabVIEW that I have been trying to run but have had no luck with. 

I have used the Visa test panel and it was all working, the image I provided previously was showing that the COM port was working with a loop back test. The Baud rate is set in NI MAX along with in the settings of the device, so it was never needed to be defined in the vi. I am not entirely sure what you mean by the real code, my apologies.

I have also tried to read the data through a separate COM port with PuTTY but it is in ASCII and I am still trying to convert it. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(651 Views)

@GRCK5000 wrote:

I am missing subVIs. Can you attach subVIs? It's hard to tell debug, but have you tried using "NI Visa test panel" to check if it's working? Can you attach the real code? You mentioned baudrate, but when I open your attached code, I don't see where you are setting baudrate.

GRCK5000_0-1688661927073.png

Actually,  not that hard to debug.  Why oh why did you set the end mode for reads property to none while expecting a response terminated with a CR? you'll timeout every time.  None means no termination condition. 

Get rid of that property node!  Or, at least set it to Term Char and set the Term Char value to CR ( expand the property node and select the term Char property.)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(641 Views)