From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA TCP/IP RESOURCE (LAN Connection) vs. USB?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm wondering if I shold expand the number of USB ports I have on my workstation or add a USB hub, or if TCP/IP Lan connections can be just as fast as the USB connections? At first attempt it seems like when using the LAN connected insturment that the response is much slower than when it's USB connected, but my workstation has sufficient TCP/IP ports and not enough USB connections.

Thanks,

Kellen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,338 Views)

You should be usuing a externally powered USB Hub already!  Depending on the internal power supply is asking for trouble.  Stick with the USB and buy a quality Hub. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 4
(3,328 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rkmadse

Personally, I do not trust USB.  I have had too many issues with it.  Cables randomly edge out.  Cables get moved around and therefore it is "new".  In a dedicated test rack that just sits there, it is probably fine. But you should definately be using a good externally powered hub.

But I prefer to go the LAN route, especially if you have LXI compliant instruments.  There is just something about connecting to your instrument through a web browser to make sure it is working properly.  And all you need is a good Ethernet hub and you can connect a ton of instruments.  If you do go this route, have the instruments be on their own little network with fixed IP addresses.  It will make your life a lot simpler.  If you need the computer to be on a company network, that is fine.  Just make sure you have 2 Ethernet ports.

Yes, USB has a lower latency.  When streaming data, LAN can play catchup (at least with Gigabit).  There are pros and cons to both options.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,302 Views)

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! In my test rack I'll be constantly swtiching each instrument through a switch matrix and taking measurements at the output. So only one instrument will be taking a measurement at a time. I worry that switching back and forth between them might bring out the bad latency in LAN, and I don't take enough continuous samples for it to catch up. I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,266 Views)