LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

I had labview software running and talking to all instruments.  added a agilent E4440a psa to the GPIB bus and now my code does not run.  even when i build a vi from scratch it keeps giving me this error and no communication to equipment.  any ideas what happened or how to fix it??
this is the Error code  -1073807343   source VISA Open in Keithley 24XX.lvlib:Initialize.vi->Untitled 1  and the error explanationVISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system. 

I opened MAX and can query all equipment.
Message 1 of 27
(74,083 Views)
Hi Spectrumrf,

That error means that there is something wrong with your VISA resource.  It most commonly occurs when you select the wrong resource from the VISA Resource Dropdown list on your block diagram.

The best way to avoid it is, after making sure you can connect and communicate with it in MAX (Which you did already), give it an alias name E4440A, save the configuration in MAX.  After doing this you will see that E4440A appears in the dropdown menu.

Please try this let me know if you are still having trouble afterwards.
Good luck!

Message Edited by BerkO on 04-17-2008 02:46 PM
Regards,
Berk
Instrument Drivers / IVI
Message 2 of 27
(74,072 Views)

I'm having the same problem as originally described, except I also get the same error message "Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system" when I try to "Open VISA Test Panel" in MAX. I checked the Device Manager and there is one Serial port listed, but its properties say "Location: Unknown". How can I get Windows to recognize the serial port?

Thanks,

Pablo

Message 3 of 27
(72,394 Views)

Pablo,

It would have probably been more beneficial to start a new thread as this problem is a bit different. Anyway, we can continue here. Can you attach a screenshot of your COM port in Windows Device Manager and NI MAX?

It should show up in MAX under Devices and Interfaces>>Serial and Parallel

Thanks!

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(72,369 Views)
At least they did a search first. You have to give them credit for that at least.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 5 of 27
(72,360 Views)

Touche, Mark.

Pablo, I did not mean to be hostile, but mainly offer the advice for your future posts. You usually want to reply when you are building upon the original post. While it is great that youfound this post, and ruled out this as a possibility, I would have started a new post and linked to this one stating you have seen it and it was not helpful.

Hope that helps, looking forward to helping you out!

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(72,336 Views)

That's quite alright. I didn't think it was offensive. Please see the screenshots attached.

Thanks a lot,

Pablo

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(72,325 Views)
From the screen shots that you posted the first is looking at COM3 and the second two are looking at COM1. Are you sure that you are trying to use the same interface for everything?

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(72,312 Views)
Yes, I am. Keep in mind that I "created" those ports, both in MAX and in the device manager, since before nothing was shown at all. The computer only has 2 ports, so I don't know why one would be trying to call it COM3.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(72,310 Views)
Even the device manager is reporting a problem with the port. I think you need to resolve that first before you can debug the VISA issues. Besides, I think if you can resolve the issue with the device manager the VISA will start working. Have you checked the BIOS settings? Are the ports even enabled in the system?

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(72,303 Views)