LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI does not float if called while modal dialog is running

In my program I have Floating VIs that popup if certain conditions are met. These Floating VIs allow the Main VI to continue running, but remain front most so the user knows there is an issue.

There are also other modal dialogs in the application that could be active when an Floating VI is called in the background. When the Floating VI is called it properly shows up behind the modal dialog and in front of the Main VI.

The problem is that when the modal dialog is dismissed the Floating VI is no longer floating and appears behind the Main VI. Switching focus between VI's will bring either VI to the front. Changing focus to Windows Explorer (clicking on desktop) then back to LabVIEW restores floating behavior to the Floating VI.

I've attached a crude example that exhibits this behavior.

LV 2014 32-bit

WIndows 7 64-bit

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,363 Views)

I can't offer a solution, but I can verify that the interaction between floating windows and modal dialogs is "hinky" -- though I haven't noticed the effect that you mention.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 3
(2,344 Views)

I've had modal dialogs appear BEHIND the main VI so I couldn't get to them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,337 Views)