LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Server - CLAD Prep

Hi All, I am prepping for the CLAD exam. I feel like I have a good understanding of everything other than the VI Server area. I know we covered it in the courses, but my brain does not seem to have retained much on that. Could someone please point me to good example VIs which will help me get back up to speed? Thanks! -FB
Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
Message 1 of 9
(2,608 Views)

What do you mean by VI server? Property and invoke nodes? If I remember right there aren't too many questions on the VI server because that's getting more advanced when you are talking about calling VIs dynamically, etc. But, that was also 2 years ago so I don't remember perfectly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,586 Views)

It's nice to know that I am not the only one unfamiliar with the term.  Here is what NI has to say on the matter:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4062/en

Cheers,

FB

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,581 Views)

Woah woah woahhhh now; I'm not unfamiliar with the term. I use VI server almost every day at work Smiley Wink...It just covers a very broad array of things, so just saying VI server doesn't give much direction. What specifically don't you understand about it?

Message 4 of 9
(2,563 Views)

Oops.  Sorry.  Misread your original post.

Sadly, my ignorance of the general subject leaves me unable to answer more specific questions about the details of the question.

I am educating myself, albeit slowly, on the matter.  But if anyone can help me by suggesting study material, I would appreciate it.  Maybe I can use the questions you ask in your original post as pointers to concepts I should master.

Thanks,

FB

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,536 Views)

From what I remember of the CLAD (4 years ago), there was maybe 1 or 2 questions with anything close to VI Server.  If you know how to use a property node to manipulate a control (set value, visible, enabled), you will be fine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 9
(2,531 Views)

Seriously?!  Am I making simple things complicated again?  If it is that easy, then I should be fine.  Thanks!

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,529 Views)

I have posted two examples that use VI server.

Docking

Using Control reference

The other two areas of interest re:VI Server is the ability to run a VI one one node from another (called from a windows app executes on RT for example) It alos works across process conexts. Search the LV help for that one.

There was also an new method added in 2011 taht allows the VIs to ve run asyncrounsly so look under new features to read about that.

Have fun,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 9
(2,528 Views)

Thanks, Ben.  It will take me a while to work through the examples you post, but they look like they will be extremely helpful.

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,520 Views)