LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Analyzer - How Would You Configure It for This Use Case?

Solved!
Go to solution

My group has different people working on different LVPROJs for each software deliverable we have. Each LVPROJ uses our user.libs and instr.libs, as well as an overall "framework" that is the same for most LVPROJs.

I really think the VI Analyzer toolkit would be powerful for code reviews, but only if I can configure it in a way where which tests I run and what the criteria are can be saved and used on any project. I can't seem to get this to work for me. I want to save all those configurations, and use it on new LVPROJs easily - the easier I can make this process, the more inclined others will be to use this for code review. How would you do it? (if it's even feasible)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,740 Views)

As long as your overall "Framework is the same you probably use your inhouse project template to initiate your projects anyway right?

(If not consider it a really good suggestion)

Save your custom VIA task and add the *.cfg right to the template.  Now your team only needs to hit the Run VIA icon on the ribbon bar in project explorer and add the results to the project. "Ready for review mon Capitan!"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 9
(2,733 Views)

Thank you for the response.

You mentioned adding the *.cfg to the template. I'm assuming you mean the LVPROJ template we have. However, when I add the file, I do not see a "Run VIA" icon on the ribbon bar in project explorer. Is this a feature that's not in LabVIEW 2011? Maybe that's part of my problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,710 Views)

There is no built-in functionality for launching the VI Analyzer from a .cfg file in the project. You'll still need to launch the VI Analyzer, choose the 'load CFG" option in the UI, and then select the .cfg file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,707 Views)

Ok, so when I load my CFG, it's still set up for the original LVPROJ that I had to link to when I created the VIA configuration. How can I get it to have the same configuration (the "Select Tests" section) but use it on multiple LVPROJ's?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,698 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author YavannaKementári

I suggest creating a .cfg file without a project linkage, but with all the tests selected and configured as you want...so a .cfg file with no "Items to Analyze" specified. Then, when working on an individual project, open that CFG file, add the project's top-level folder to the analysis, then save that CFG file with that project. This means you can't have the project linkage in your CFG file, but assuming your project is all within some top-level folder, that shouldn't be much of an issue, since the CFG file will be "linked" at that point to the top-level folder containing your project.

Message 6 of 9
(2,692 Views)

Oh, wow I didn't realize I could click "Next" without linking it to a project. This works great, thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,688 Views)

No problem. Also, in case you didn't know, we have a VI Analyzer Enthusiasts community group that has all sorts of cool VI Analyzer downloads and discussions. Check it out!

Message 8 of 9
(2,684 Views)

@Darren wrote:

No problem. Also, in case you didn't know, we have a VI Analyzer Enthusiasts community group that has all sorts of cool VI Analyzer downloads and discussions. Check it out!

I assume you caught a few ideas for VIA use cases out of that.Smiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,656 Views)