LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a wiimote with LabVIEW

RE: the 04-28-2009 message from mkdieric

This is the first I've heard of this type of problem. You may be on to something related to your specific PC's software configuration, as there are a lot of dependencies that are in use. Most of the other problems I've heard of involved the Bluetooth adaptor and pairing, so you might try out the code with a different adaptor. Also, have you tried the sample executable that's supplied with the WiimoteLib? I seem to recall that although it isn't LabVIEW it is event driven.

--Sam

Message Edited by sshearman on 05-06-2009 06:44 PM
Sam Shearman
0 Kudos
Message 91 of 220
(4,081 Views)

Hi,

I just installed the Bluetooth software that came with the adapter instead of the default Windows driver, and now it works fine.

Thanks for your feedback and for the great library!

Manu

Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
0 Kudos
Message 92 of 220
(4,058 Views)

Hi Manu,

I wonder if the event driven example with multiple wii's works at a sustained ~100 Hz each with no delay's ?

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 93 of 220
(4,047 Views)

I'm trying to do something very simple:  I have a home theatre system in a closet.  I want to turn my Wii On and Off remotely via my computer.  I've looked over all the VIs that have been provided on this site but I don't see a VI that has that capability.  Any pointers?

0 Kudos
Message 94 of 220
(3,959 Views)

I have a similar problem, I want to use it as a remote for my home automation, so most of the day it is inactive, but I want it to respond as soon as I pick it up. Therefore I have to keep the connection alive the batteries are drawn unnecessary (that is, I suppose that as long as the Wii is connected it is operational, and when disconnected no power is used). Is it possible to switch the Wiimote on and off on the Wiimote itself without having to manually restore the Bluetooth connection?

Any tips are much appreciated.

Manu

Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
0 Kudos
Message 95 of 220
(3,956 Views)

Hi all,

Just a small post to tell you about another useless thing to do with a wiimote: a bike speedometer 😄

Well in fact I am only using the fact that my bike has only one properly working gear. So I always have the same ratio between the speed and the turning frequency of my legs. I just have to put the wiimote in a pocket of my jeans and from the acceleration I can calculate the speed of the bike.

I am using my laptop which is on the back of my bike. In order to know the speed without looking behind I just recorded myself saying all the int between 0 and 40 km/h.Then I play the appropriate one every 2 seconds.

Well nothing hard in this program but that was funny. The only drawback is that I am maybe one of the first to get a BSOD on a bike speedometer 😄 (I should realy clean this laptop...)

Thanks to people who develloped the library !

0 Kudos
Message 96 of 220
(3,862 Views)

I always wonder if it will damage my laptop if I bike with my laptop in my backpack.

Every time I go over a bump, the first thing I think is "now I'm gonna need a new hard drive"

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 97 of 220
(3,857 Views)

RE:  the event based VI's don't work in my case. The pairing was done OK. The polling based VI's work fine. The event based ones however never seem  to receive callback events, although the 'init Wiimote' VI returns no error. I checked in there, the registration for the callback events seems OK, the connect function too, because if I change the output LED states to high at startup high it does this fine. But the event structure that waits for callback events does not seem to receive any. Did I forget to register anything from .NET? I don't get error messages, not even the next time I restart  LabView.

I ran in to the same problem. It appears to be an issue with using the Windows-based bluetooth driver, because I can get the same code to work using the Toshiba bluetooth driver that came with my notebook. 

Sam Shearman
0 Kudos
Message 98 of 220
(3,818 Views)

Hello, I use the VI and I are all right, I'm running Windows 7, but every time I start using the Wiimote have to match it with the pc, is this normal? there is no way that you remember and do not ask me to match?.

Hola, yo uso los VI y me van todos bien, lo estoy corriendo bajo Windows 7, pero cada vez que empiezo a usar el wiimote tengo que emparejarlo con el pc, es normal? no hay forma de que lo recuerde y no me pida emparejar?.

0 Kudos
Message 99 of 220
(3,244 Views)

I'm a psychology student who's interested in using the wiimote in an attempt to set up an experiment and gather some unique data (like acceleration and IR) which can't be obtained using the classic mouse/keyboard setup.

Unfortunately I have hardly any programming skills, but I'm wrestling myself through some tutorials in order to use LabVIEW for this. Luckily I got the wiimote to work thanks to mr. Sherman, his instructions were clear enough for me to follow through successfully.

So now I'm looking for a way to put the accelerometer (and IR) data in a graph and some way to save it to disk. A nod in the right direction (or tutorial) would be highly appreciated. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 100 of 220
(3,187 Views)