LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Manager version "too outdated"

Solved!
Go to solution

I was one of the ones who ran into this issue on Friday, but now its been resolved I'm trying to install NXG. This time the NXG installation stops with an error stating NIPM is too outdated, and requires an update to install the NXG examples package:

NIPM_version_error.png

I've tried what I can to automatically update NIPM itself following these instructions, but NIPM is reporting there are no upgrades available. All of the download links I can find for NIPM on NI's site are the same version I have already (identical checksums). Is there another way to update NIPM?

p.s. Will LabVIEW NXG get its own subforum, rather than just tagged posts?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,507 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting this behavior. We're currently investigating into how we might resolve this error message, but for the time being can you try uninstalling NI Package Manager and reinstalling it with a fresh download from our website?

http://www.ni.com/download/package-manager-1.0/6604/en/

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,375 Views)

Good to hear it's being investigated.

I've just tried uninstalling NIPM, and installing from the download link provided, but run into the same error message. The steps to reproduce the issue are below:

1. Download and install NIPM from this link: http://www.ni.com/download/package-manager-1.0/6604/en/
  2. After the installation has complete, start NIPM and select the Available tab, and then Programming Environments.
  3. Select LabVIEW NXG, then click Install. Leave all the defaults checked, hit Next, accept the license agreements, hit Next, then hit Next one last time.
  4. The error message will appear.

If I uncheck Example Instrument Driver in step 3 above, everything else installs without a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,356 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting back so promptly! Just to verify, are you trying to install the LabVIEW NXG 1.0 Suite? You can verify this by checking the Release Details tab of your LabVIEW NXG Suite item:

A screenshot would be a fantastic confirmation as well. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,305 Views)

It occurs with both the LabVIEW NXG Suite (from the LabVIEW NXG and Drivers tab), and with only LabVIEW NXG (from the Programming Environments tab). I can't see the screenshot you've posted as it seems to be linked to an internal NI portal.

Here's a set of screenshots showing what was being installed.

Note that Example Driver Driver here is checked:

NIPM_screen1.png

Something I didn't notice before is that the installer wants to include two versions of LabVIEW NXG, and VISA support for NXG 2.0 (note I have not installed anything to do with the NXG 2.0 beta, included updated ini files and so on).

NIPM_screen2.png

I then receive the error message.

NIPM_screen3.png

If I then click Try Again, and uncheck the Example Instrument Driver option as seen in the first image, NIPM then only wants to install the below. Note this only includes the one version of LabVIEW NXG, and no reference to VISA support for NXG 2.0 or the Example Instrument Driver.

NIPM_screen4.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,292 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelBalzer

I just tried doing a complete reinstall after seeing those messages about NXG 2.0. This included deleting any National Instruments folder in c:\ProgramData and C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local. After the reinstall it seems to be working now, so there must have been some stale nipkg file hanging around which wasn't uninstalled the first time around.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I did use the NXG2.0 beta nipkg.ini, back when NIPM wouldn't install anything at all, hoping it would fix things. I guess it was never removed on subsequent uninstalls/reinstalls of NIPM.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,287 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting back your solution and all these screenshots of the behavior you've experienced as well. We'll definitely keep this one on record in case we run into anyone else who may have have run into this same issue after trying the LabVIEW NXG 2.0 beta's nipkg.ini. Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,256 Views)

Same problem:

Captura01.JPG

Captura02.JPG

Captura03.JPG

Any new idea?

Thx.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,622 Views)

I do not know if it could help somebody, but for me, it seems to work:

1. In Windows 10, go to Windows Icon --> Configuration.

2. Select Apps and features.

3. Search on the list for "National Instruments Software" item.

4. Click on uninstall.

5. Go to the tab Installed and search for NI Package Manager.

6. Try to re-install from there. Nothing will happen (for me), because error will appear again.

7. Do not close, and go to the tab upgrades. A new version of NI Package Manager appears on list. If you try to install it, you will success with the upgrade process.

Message 9 of 11
(6,617 Views)

I followed the steps until where selected to uninstall package manager from Windows.

I then aborted the uninstallation dialog (during unistall start it seemed to do something with packager manager upgrader)

Started the packager manager and I could upgrade the package manager to 17.5 and upgrade NXG to 2.0.

Hope it helps, but a fix from NI would be very desirable. This is bad advertisement.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,506 Views)