LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Vision Development Module with LabVIEW Student Edition

Hello, I would like to perform some image processing in LabVIEW, so I am trying to set up the Vision Development Module. I have the LabVIEW Student Edition 2020 installed on my computer. I tried installing the Vision Development Module, but after finishing installation it asked for activation codes, which I did not have. As a result, I was only able to set up a 7-day trial of the Vision Development Module and not the full thing. Does anyone know if this toolkit is incompatible with the Student Edition, or if I am just doing something wrong? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,718 Views)

Is your license through the academic site license, or did you purchase the student edition? It looks like the site license includes vision development. The student edition contains "6 toolkits" but I'm not sure what they are.

Either way, I would try to run your original installer again (may have to run force reinstall) and then see if you can select the vision development module from there. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,708 Views)

Thanks for the response! I got the Student Edition through my university, so I did not purchase it myself. I just tried the force reinstall you linked, but I am having trouble with Command Prompt recognizing the command for reinstallation. I don't seem to have a folder anywhere on my C:\ drive with the name "National Instruments Downloads," but my best guess is that the folder it is looking for would be C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-VISA. Do you know what would be causing the issue here?

ikohli_0-1615498786239.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,702 Views)

Did you download a large installer (several GB) or a small file (couple MB)? If you have the large installer, you will navigate to wherever you unzipped those files to. If it's the small file, I would just run that again. You may not have to run a force reinstall, that's just the last resort. I would try to just run the original installer again and look for a way to select the vision development module from that installer.

If you do have to do a force reinstall, you can run it on the LabVIEW installer (not NI-VISA like in their example). 

Message 4 of 8
(1,673 Views)

Mine was the small file. I just ran it again, and there was an option to select some of the IMAQ things, as well as one or two other vision-related things, but nothing specifically named Vision Development Module. I selected those other ones and re-ran the installation. When I did, I saw this screen asking for licenses. I remember seeing the same thing previously when I tried to install the Vision Development Module, and it ended up just starting a 7-day trial when I clicked through it. This time I instead tried just typing in the activation code that I had from initially installing LabVIEW Student Edition. However, this only applied to the LabVIEW Student Edition itself and not the other 12 licenses on the list.

ikohli_0-1615501067407.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,668 Views)

After clicking through the rest of that and rebooting, I see this:

ikohli_0-1615501435941.png

I am not sure whether or not this means it is set up properly.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,664 Views)

It might just be a licensing issue. Is there a license administrator at your school that you can contact?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,657 Views)

LabVIEW Vision requires a somewhat higher level of license than Base or Student.  I had been working with LabVIEW for several years before I "got acquainted" with Vision -- it's a part of LabVIEW that is "different" from the usual Data Acquisition and Processing.  If you really want to do something with LabVIEW Vision, I strongly recommend that you first get familiar with LabVIEW, then try to find a mentor with LabVIEW Vision Experience to help you get started with LabVIEW Vision.

Bob Schor

Message 8 of 8
(1,633 Views)