LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VAPIX

Hi, all.

I want to develop an integrated application in LabView that requieres using specific features of an AXIS 213 camera. Among this functionalities, I want to use the PTZ control of the camera to coordinate its movement with some image processing algorithms and other controls and applications developed in LabView.

According to http://www.axis.com/techsup/cam_servers/dev/index.htm, I have already used an ActiveX object with the properties and methods that are supported, but they are too high-leveled for my application, since I have to used very specific commands in order to have more specific control of the camera: like move to some specific coordinate, given by a numeric entry, based on a previous determined coordinate system related to other stuff we have in our project, etc...

So, I think I have to use VAPIX, but I have no idea of working with HTTP request on LabView. Can anybody help me or send me a suitable link for learning? Has anybody worked with VAPIX?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Porras

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,011 Views)

There happens to be an example called: ActiveX Event Callback for IE.vi

Within LabVIEW, click on the Help menu (top right) and select "Find Examples..."

In the Search tab, type internet.  It will list a single example, the one I mentionned above.

Open the example and have a look at the block diagram.  Actually, you can try running the example using the information necessary to control the camera.

You may need to modify the example, as it may serve as a starting block to get started with your project.

R

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,004 Views)
Hi, all.

Thank you, Ray.R, for you support.

Well, I think there may be another way more direct to do what I want. Using DirectX I think is more complicated, and is to get to the place I want but making a longer way. There may be one simple, "low-leveled" and direct way to use HTTP protocol to communicate with the camera and give it simple orders and commands, with CGI request (I think they are called so), such as: http://myserver/axis-cgi/bitmap/image.bmp (this request, for example, would be for getting a BMP image from the camera)... according to the VAPIX specification, that is here: http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/VAPIX_3_HTTP_API_3_00.pdf

VAPIX is an HTTP-based application programming interface. This text is indicated in the first page of the specification: "The HTTP-based video interface provides the functionality for requesting single and multi-part images and for getting and setting internal parameter values. The, image and CGI-requests are handled by the built-in web server."

So, what I want to know is how to use LabView in order to handle this communication with the camera using directly these commands and requests.

Has anybody done something similar? Has anybody used VAPIX in LabView?

Thanks!

Regards,
Francisco
Mensaje editado por Porras
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,962 Views)

I will have a look at the links you provided.  What I suspect is that you should have an API to access that application from an external software.  Or at least a list of functions that you can access through dlls.  If that's the case you can use a Call Library Function Node.

Have a look at the article Configuring the Call Library Function Node

R

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,950 Views)

Hi Francisco,

I haven't tried this myself, but it is certainly possible to do.

If you have the Internet toolkit, then it is quite easy since the toolkit has VIs to create http requests.

Without the toolkit, you can still use the TCP VIs to open a connection to port 80 on the camera and then send your own requests and retrieve the data.

You might want to try sending requests from a web browser while monitoring the connection with a network tool like Wireshark, which will capture all the traffic so that you can see what is required.

Good luck  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,941 Views)

Hello!

I have an Axis 215PTZ camera, and i want to pan/tilt it with Labview... I never used activeX before, i used Labview one month ago, so i am very beginner... Can you help me how to do it? I can now watch whit LV what the camera see, but i cant controll the Pan or tilt...

Thanks!

Kolos 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,749 Views)