LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SMTP to send email

Hi,

I have a VI to send email which works on one computer but won't on other 2 that I tried. I have correct smtp server address for my company. There is no error but there is no email as well from these 2 computers. I am not sure what network or firewall settings are present for the machine that is able to send the email. 

I have even tried the sample VI but no luck. I am able to telnet into the smtp  server. It atleast opens the session using port 25 which I believe is the default port.

Some insight on any settings that I am missing would be helpful.

Thanks

apade

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,556 Views)

It would be better if you upload your vi so that we can debug it.

CLD Using LabVIEW since 2013
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,512 Views)

Is this a private server on an internal network not accessible to the outside? Because if it isn't it is VERY unlikely that this server still has port 25 open to allow access for unauthenticated email sending. It would be quickly turned into a spam source that might overload even modern broadband data plans.

Welcome to the modern world of commercial spooks and abusers.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,510 Views)

Attached is the VI. Please note for privacy concerns I have put in sample server address and emails.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,487 Views)

I am not sure if the server is private on internal network. I think it is. The strange thing is my program works on one machine but I tried 3 other machines and it does not work. Even other applications in the organisation is using the same server and default port 25, and they are able to send emails. Also I didnot find a way in labview to set port address.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,486 Views)

@apade wrote:

The strange thing is my program works on one machine but I tried 3 other machines and it does not work.

That most likely is then a Firewall setting. If you create a program and start it for the first time on a machine, the Firewall will usually prompt the user to allow network access for this process. This dialog is very easily dismissed as one of those dialogs that just happen to come up and then you disallow network access for that process.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,479 Views)

Yesterday I checked the Firewall settings for both machines (1 which is sending email and 1 which is not) they are the same. As far as I remember I made sure that I allow labview and any related program through firewall. I can check one more time but not sure if I would find anything.

The thing is I am not getting any error after the VI is executed. So I am thinking that email is sent to the server but for some reason the server is not forwarding it. If I think this way, then it doesnot make sense as why the other machine is able to send emails. Turning out to be interesting issue.

I also got one more server name from my IT but even using that I am not getting any email. I also tried different "from" address.

Thanks

Akshay (apade)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,476 Views)

Are you sure you checked everything? Microsoft Windows Firewall, Symantec Endpoint security, Kaparsky whatever and Norton thisorthat?

The idea of a Firewall is exactly to let the application not know that it is getting blocked. So writes are dumped to /dev/nul and reads are simply timing out.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,468 Views)