From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Labview with other apps on your computer

I just wanted to know if there was anyway or any VI that would allow me to access applications on my computer(ie. Word, LoggerPro, Dropbox,etc.) and control their respective functions with LabView. Would it be possible to do this? or any other alternative methods?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,689 Views)

LabVIEW can control another application using ActiveX properties and methods if they are ActiveX enabled. The Report Generation Toolkit is the main, recurring use of this functionality as it uses ActiveX to control Microsoft Office.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,687 Views)

Other options I have seen include .NET interfaces, command line calls, and TCP communication.  But ActiveX is the most common I have seen.  Of course, this requires that the desired application has such an interface to it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,647 Views)