From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabVIEW to Generate an XY Graph of Multiple, Indexed Plots?

Hello,

I have written a LabVIEW Program (using 8.2.1) to characterize FETs using GPIB instruments. At it's most basic level, the program sets a voltage across the Gate-Source terminals of the FET, sets a voltage across the Drain-Source terminals of the FET, reads this second voltage, and then reads the Drain-Source current. The Drain-Source voltage is then increased, the current read, and so on. In this manner, the Drain-Source voltage is swept from 0V to some defined maximum (dependent on the FET being tested) and an array of data (I_{DS} vs. V_{DS}) is generated. The Drain-Source is then reset to 0, the Gate-Source voltage is increased, and the entire process is repeated.

My problem is this: I need to generate a single Graph  (I think it should be XY, but not entirely certain), that plots all of these IV curves (each curve for each Gate-Source voltage) and indicates the Gate-Source voltage for each curve (in an indexed legend of some sort). Does anyone have any suggestions about how I should do this? My program is entirely based on For Loops and Sequence Structures. If you need a screen shot or want me to upload the program, please let me know. Fair warning, though: I am a LabVIEW novice so while the program functions correctly, it is not the prettiest in the world.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michael

P.S. I searched the forums and didn't find this question already posted. If, however, it was and I just missed it, could someone direct me to it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,993 Views)
Hi,
I think you should open the help menu, and search exemples of graphs : you will easily understant which graph is the best for your application.
Best regards,
Vincent
V-F
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,955 Views)

Hello JM1619,

I think you can utilize indexing at the exit tunnel of your for loops.  If you right-click the exit tunnel of a for loop and select Enable Indexing you can build an array that has the same size as the number of iterations of the loop.   If you posted a screenshot of your code we could be more specific in what help we can give you.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,938 Views)

Hello,

I would take a look at the 3524 VI on this KB. I found it by searching NI.com for Graphing Multiple Plots. I think the Point Definition Graph would be suitable for what you were describing. If not, just provide a screenshot if thats possible. Thanks.

Message Edited by Andrew_E. on 02-23-2009 04:49 PM
National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,934 Views)

Vincent, Jon, and Andrew,

Thank you for the advice. Andrew, I am taking a look at the link you provided. I hope that the solution to my problem may be found there. If not, I am working on a screenshot to post.

I really appreciate the help. The good news is that the control structure of the program functions as expected. Now I just need to display and save the data.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,917 Views)

Vincent, Jon, and Andrew:

I still need some help. I used the 3524.vi Example for the XY Graph: x-array, y-array definition to generate the kind of multiple plot xy graph that I needed. My problem now is I would like to re-index the plots so that they are labeled according to the Gate-Source voltage I am applying. Each curve has its own, distinct Gate-Source voltage and I would like to label each curve with its Gate-Source voltage. Currently, the plots are labeled in the legend: Plot 0, Plot 1, Plot 2, ... Plot n.

How should I go about doing this (is there even a way to do this)?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

P.S. I have attached a copy of my program to this message. As I said, it isn't pretty, but it works so far. Hopefully this will help you in forming your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,819 Views)
If you are looking to rename the plots you can use property nodes to do this.  Take a look at the attached pictures
Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,802 Views)