From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User interface/start menu

Hi!
I want to create a user interface (or a start menu) that makes the user able to choose between two programs, "Aquisition" and "Analyze". When one of the buttons is pushed the chosen program (front panel) should appear on the screen and the user is able to run the programme.
Or is there any other way to solve this in an easy way?

Thankful for any help!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,565 Views)
Sure... One method could be:
  1. You would create a while loop
  2. put an with an event structure in it.
  3. Put 3 booleans on the front panel. (Acquistion, Analyze, Exit)
  4. Replace the Timeout event with an Exit button event, firing on Value Change.
  5. Put a Boolean constant in the same frame, set to true. Wire that to the while loop termination condition
  6. Add an event, select Acquisition for the Event source, and the event is Value change.
  7. Put a "False" boolean constant to the loop termination condition.
  8. Take you acquistion VI and drop it in this frame as well.
  9. Set your acquistion VI Window appearance properties to "Show front panel when called" and "Close afterwards if originally closed", these are boolean check boxes on the bottom left side of thh window appearance screen.
  10. Repeat 6-9 for the Analyze event, and subvi launch.
NOTES: It would be a good idea to minimize or close the front panel of the 'main' vi, so the user does not click the Exit key while one of the others are running... Or you could disable the booleans while they are running.  Because nothing in the main will be running while one of the other two are.

I hope that this is what you are looking for.  I do not have LabVIEW on this machine, so I can not post an example.. Plus I do not know what version of LabVIEW you are running anyway.
Good luck,
Paul

Paul
Message 2 of 8
(3,556 Views)
Thank you!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,538 Views)
I must make also a user-interface. Can you please give your example. So that i have an idea how to make a MENU. I am new labview user en i don't have an idea how to do.

Thanks,

S. Can

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,500 Views)

@alias23 wrote:
I must make also a user-interface. Can you please give your example. So that i have an idea how to make a MENU. I am new labview user en i don't have an idea how to do.

Hi Can,

Making a User-Interface is the primary thing, and making a MENU for it is a way of presentation to the user to run the S/W.

The user can run the S/W thro' FP buttons like Start, Acquire, Analyze, etc., as explained in the previous post.

Browse the Example Finder in the Building User Interfaces category, you ll find a few VIs that are self-explanatory.

Search the Example Finder under the title Analysis for more examples.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 5 of 8
(3,489 Views)

Regarding your Q about making Menu, Open a NewVI. In the Menu, Edit -->> Run-Time Menu... will pop-up a dialog to edit the Default menu. Customize it as per your wish. You can assign short-cut keys also for those menus.

Once you have finished, save it. Give an appropriate name corresponding to the VI & save it.

It ll get saved with an extension as .rtm, meaning Run-Time Menu file. This is the associated Run-Time Menu file for that VI.

I hope this helps you better.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,488 Views)

Thanks for the reaction,

I made a RTM file. But i don't know how to use this in labview. I see a display what i did, but i can't do anything.

I want to make a menu button. When you click on that button, you wil come i a sub-menu. So it must be hierarchical. At the end of the sub-menu, it will run a VI

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,461 Views)

Hi alias 123,

if you have not solved your problem already you might have a look at this example to see how you could use the RTM.

Regards

Andreas E
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,381 Views)