LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use USB6363 with RS232 or USB to have a single user interface

Hello,

I am writing a program with a USB6363 DAQ that will interface to a test bench for a satellite. The LabView interface will provide two analog outputs (got the code for this done! 🙂 ), and also communicate with the bench using I2C. I have found through other advice that I have to write my own driver. Is it feasible to interface this DAQ with a "PC to I2C Adapator" from i2cchip.com, with either RS232 or USB communication? My goal is to keep the test bench interface contained within one program, and LabView is usually good for this application.

Any advice, suggestions, and/or statements of feasibility would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Emily

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,545 Views)

Not with the DAQ, but you should be able to easily commincate with an extra serial port in your computer and communicate using the VISA fuctions.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,538 Views)

Thanks! What is the VISA function?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,535 Views)

Here might be a place to start.  It doesn't have much information, but it has the basics.  http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvmeasconcepts/visa_in_labview/

After reading that, look at the Instrument I/O->VISA palette.  You should also search in LabVIEW for an example (Help->Find Examples...) such as "Basic Serial Write and Read".

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,530 Views)

So if I purchase the VISA interface, I could just plug in my USB device, and then control it through LabView? I was reading about finding the right drivers, and it says worst case (no driver, can't write one) to use direct IO. For someone new at Labview, could I get this set up within 3 weeks? Or is that too much?

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,522 Views)

You shouldn't need to purchase the VISA.  It's built into LabVIEW.

3 weeks to make a simple driver for a brand new person might seem reasonable.  Depending on the device, even less.  The hard part is building up the messages to send to the device.  The VISA API is quite simple to use.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,518 Views)

Ah, I found it. Thank you I will get started with this. Would you mind if I posted more questions to you as I try to move through this process? Let me know. I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,512 Views)

@Emily_aeroeng wrote:

Would you mind if I posted more questions to you as I try to move through this process?

That's what we're here for.  Just keep posting to this thread.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,509 Views)

I have a device that I would like to control with the VISA function now, and I have been looking at how to control the device through Realterm.  To read from an address, I have to send "S 40 1 08 P" for the start, address (hex), write (1), number of bytes, then stop. I have been looking at the "Basic Serial Read and Write".  When using the VISA function with my device, does the read VISA command take care of the formatting (ie when I say "read", it will send the S40108P"), and I just need to tell it the address?  Or do I need to write the command to the device, and then read back the data? I attached the example I'm using.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,481 Views)

No need to attach an example that everyone has.

If you are using Realterm, do you get anything from the instrument when you just sit there and it is doing nothing but a read? You have to type what you said and have Realterm do a write. What the example does is no different than Realterm. Have you actually looked at the VISA Read explanation? Have you any reason to think that it is going to just automatically know what to write? Where would you think it got that information?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,476 Views)