From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usability issue: create references appear in reverse order

If I select a bunch of controls terminals on the BD, right click, and select Create:Reference, the references appear in reverse order of their creation on the diagram. This is usually not how I need to use the references (for instance, I may want to put them in an array or cluster). I wanted to find out if other users have found this annoyance and if it would be worth asking NI to create references in the order terminals appear on the BD, or in order they were created, or in some other logical fashion.

(2,346 Views)

They appear in reverse Z order of a "Swooped" selection.  Backmost vertically on top, frontmost vertically on the bottom when a group is selected

(Known issue)

The work around is to select the items one by one with Shift+Click in the order you want them to appear from top to bottom.  Its a pain when you first notice it but only a pain for developers,  Users of course, don't create references so the code runs fine after you take all the time to re-align your references.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,340 Views)

Yes, this is a *developer* usability issue, thank you for the clarification. Smiley Indifferent

THanks also for the workaround, but wow, silly!

(2,320 Views)

Why is it silly?

LabVIEW has to pick some order to create the references.  It can't read your mind.  Z-order seems to be as good of a guess as any.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,306 Views)

It's silly because when LV places the terminals on the BD it does so in a preditable way related to how the controls are placed on the FP. So, if you copy/drag out new controls on the FP, you get a handy collection of terminals that can be wired in order. If you select those terminals and create references, locals, or whatever, and their order is reversed, you must then manually re-sort them before they can be used, in the example I've given. I cannot think of an example where the current method is helpful.

BTW, I've noticed you don't carefully read posts before chiming in. I specifically asked for feedback as to whether it would be more useful for references to be created in diagram order. I am assuming your answer is a rather obtuse no. Thank you for your input. Perhaps you think NIs decision was a wise one and have a reason why. Please explain.

(2,295 Views)

If I had my preference, I'd choose the references to be in order by their Y position on the screen.  I even modified the Right Click Framework method of creating references that existed before NI added it directory to LabVIEW.  That method of ordering the references might be in agreement with what you are saying.  But for the most part, it really doesn't matter.  Whatever method that NI chooses to order the references as a matter of practice, is probably going to be wrong 99% of the time and the programmer will have to reorder them anyway.  It's not something I would use that often, that taking the time to reorder would matter to me.  I'd rather have their time spent developing something else.

"I specifically asked for feedback as to whether it would be more useful for references to be created in diagram order"

I did read your message.  I was giving feedback.  And that feedback was that I didn't find it particularly silly that NI chose the method they did.  And your request for feedback wasn't as specific as you are saying it was.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,291 Views)