LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded LV7 to 8.2.1 and List Folder pattern does not work anymore as it did

Hi

I have upgraded LV7 to 8.2.1 and use XP.
In a vi developed in LV7 I used the List Folder with pattern input to check wether a file name already exist in a folder  (path). This worked very well in LV 7 as the function return the filename if the exisiting filename matched the pattern input. In 8.2.1 this fucntion still exists but it does not return the filename as it used to do which is rather annoying.

Has anybody else experienced this ie is it a bug? or is the operation of the function changed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers

Jack
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,184 Views)
Hi Jack,
how do you use it? The example from the attached picture works for me.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 05-21-2008 12:37 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,181 Views)
Hi Mike

Thanks for the quick repsonse!
Just been experimenting and found the reason it does not work. In LV7 it was OK to have the pattern to match the filename without the file extension but in 8.2.1 you need to include the filename extension (in my case .xls) or as I do now add .* to the pattern string.

Have to note though that it is an interesting fact that Labview is marketed for engineers like me who only develop maybe one application a year for a research applications. With all the updates, and with that the 'bugs' and changes, and the fact that older Labview versions are not supported for that long it is a nightmare to keep the software up to date and working. We have good equipments with decent written code that are only a few years ols but already would take too long to bring up to the latest version. You could argue I am not profficient enough in using Labview but is that not the whole point....

Thanks again.

Cheers

Jack
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,177 Views)
Hi Jack,

I can understand your frustration.. 😉  We had a thread complaining about the changes when it was first introducted.  Now that I'm used to it, I wouldn't go back.. 🙂

However, you can keep all versions of Labview installed on the same PC, meaning that Labview versions 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, 8.2, 8.5 can all happily co-exist on the same PC.  The benefit is that you can use the original version that you developped your code and continue to enhance the code using the original version without having to adapt to the newer version.  However, going up versions should be compatible, unless you are adding new features.

There is one catch in what I described.  And you must keep a backup copy of your code.  If you open an older version using a newer version and save it, you cannot open it again in your older version, unless you use Save As Previous.  For that reason, it is best to keep an extra copy somewhere (which is always good practice anyway).

Hope this helps,

RayR
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,166 Views)