From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Custom Controls Throughout Program

I am trying to come up with a way to update all of my custom controls throughtout the program without replacing every control individually. (Ex. I have a cluster (custom control) on a shift register which connects to several Vis therefor everytime I make a change to this cluster I must make the change in several places). I would like to only make one change and have it populate throughtout the program. Any Ideas???
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,585 Views)
I haven't fiddled with this, but I thought that the custom controls were
saved in their own definition files so when you change the original
control and resave the definition file, won't that propagate? Of course
with a cluster the issue may be that element order changes and it simply
can't be done?

Rudolf

ABB Rob wrote:
: I am trying to come up with a way to update all of my custom controls
: throughtout the program without replacing every control individually.
: (Ex. I have a cluster (custom control) on a shift register which
: connects to several Vis therefor everytime I make a change to this
: cluster I must make the change in several places). I would like to
: only make one change and have it populate throughtout the program. Any
: I
deas???
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,585 Views)
I also thought the same thing that is why I tried the custom controls approach. This can be very time consuming especially as often as the project leaders change there minds.

Thanks Anyway,
Rob
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,585 Views)
Hi ABB Rob,

Take a look at saving the custom control as a "Strict Type def". Then replace all of the occurances of that control with the strict type def. Once you have done this, updates tath are saved to the control will be applied to every occurance.

Note: If you pop-up and create a constant, it will be created based on the current strict type def. Changes will not propogate to these constatnts. Instead of doing the create constant thing, navigate to the strict type def. This will create the constant and link it to the strict def.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,585 Views)
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,585 Views)