From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwired error inputs cause buffer allocation

Solved!
Go to solution

Only recently, while playing "Hide the Dots", have I noticed that not wiring the error input on functions (such as Notifiers, Queues, or Property Nodes) may come at a memory cost.

If an error cluster is X bytes, and you have dozens of these unwired (lets say) Notifiers laying around, is the buffer allocation [ X bytes * n Notifiers ]? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the old Notifier have error in/out?

Edit: I know that not wiring the error may result in a race condition, non-LabVIEW-esque program flow, etc, but I'd like to talk about the memory aspect of this only.

Message Edited by Broken Arrow on 04-09-2009 10:48 AM
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,609 Views)
Is there a specific reason you aren't wiring your error clusters?  99 times out of 100, you want them wired to properly report and handle edge cases while developing and then deploying your app.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,586 Views)
Just curious, do you have automatic error handling enabled?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,584 Views)

Altenbach, yes it is enababled. 

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,559 Views)
enabled.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,555 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Broken_Arrow

Hi all,

Since the "error in" is only a recommended terminal, when it is not wired LabVIEW must locate and assign default values for that input. In order to do so, some memory must be allocated. Therefore, not wiring your error inputs as well as any non-required terminals will in fact increase the initial memory allocation. However, this additional allocation should be minimal in comparison to the rest of your VI.

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
Message 6 of 9
(3,522 Views)

Excellent. I can't imagine everyone out there wires up every single Property Node, etc. I'm glad the penalty is minimal, although it would be nice to just right click and set property nodes to not have an error. I learned on Version 5, which I think the nodes didn't have error in/out back then, so I got used to not wiring it early on.

Thanks for responding, Will! Smiley Happy

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,511 Views)

I can't give too many specifics, so consider it hearsay, but I know that many primitives (functions that aren't subVIs) don't actually do work for terminals that aren't wired. They can tell at compile time whether an input or output is wired and decide what code to script accordingly.

For instance, I've heard that if you don't wire the Elements output of the Queue function Get Queue Status, then it won't actually ever query those values from the queue. The code to do that is never even created.

Another example where you can see this in effect is Format Into String. If you don't wire the output string of the Format Into String, then it won't produce an error for an invalid Format String. Why not? Because it's never actually doing the format operation, since there's no output location to put the data.

My whole point here is that LabVIEW probably optimizes away a lot of unwired code when it comes to primitives, and this may in fact include the error terminals if you don't have Automatic Error Handling enabled. The dots tool might not take this into account. It's all pure speculation, but I thought I'd share.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 8 of 9
(3,506 Views)

Jarrod S. wrote:

I can't give too many specifics, so consider it hearsay, but I know that many primitives (functions that aren't subVIs) don't actually do work for terminals that aren't wired. They can tell at compile time whether an input or output is wired and decide what code to script accordingly.

For instance, I've heard that if you don't wire the Elements output of the Queue function Get Queue Status, then it won't actually ever query those values from the queue. The code to do that is never even created.

Another example where you can see this in effect is Format Into String. If you don't wire the output string of the Format Into String, then it won't produce an error for an invalid Format String. Why not? Because it's never actually doing the format operation, since there's no output location to put the data.

My whole point here is that LabVIEW probably optimizes away a lot of unwired code when it comes to primitives, and this may in fact include the error terminals if you don't have Automatic Error Handling enabled. The dots tool might not take this into account. It's all pure speculation, but I thought I'd share.

Back in the day ....

when I took the LabVIEW Advanced course they used to teach us exactly that as well as tirivia like the upper terminal of two input "Add" nodes would re-use the buffer of the top input etc.

More recently I was reminded about that leason when I was trying to use the "invoke node Get image" to "jiggle the handle" and get LV to update a graph on a hidden tab page. If I did NOT wire any of the values coming back from the "Get Image" the cludge had no effect. When I wired at least a single value coing from the invoke node the work-around had its desired effect.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 9
(3,477 Views)