From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Dialog Box

My universal dialog box is now working.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(1,381 Views)

The problem I always had with universal dialog boxes was that they universally didn't fit in with my UI.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(1,347 Views)

@billko wrote:

The problem I always had with universal dialog boxes was that they universally didn't fit in with my UI.

With this one, you can plug in any set of buttons.  Also, you can have a custom entry field.

Message 3 of 15
(1,316 Views)

So, how is this thing used? I could not drop it on the BD, but I could insert it as a VI and apparently its an express VI. But I cannot open its properties and cannot run it (LV2021).

thols_1-1642765530174.png

When run:

thols_0-1642765507362.png

Must say I'm a bit reluctant to Express-VIs, but I'm still interested to see what your VI can do.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(1,311 Views)

Same here. Thought i didn't wire something, so i wired everything, but the error still pops up (LV 2019).

I didn't install it tho, just dropped on block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(1,298 Views)

*Facepalm* I opened the README-file but I did not read it...

The installer completely hanged LV though. Tried installing again without mass-recompile and got:

thols_0-1642769558088.png

Removed all installed files in user-lib. Tried opening install.vi again and it stays at 100% cpu for at least five minutes. killed LV and opened again. Now Install.vi can be opened. Tried installing again: 

thols_1-1642769873655.png

the folder <user.lib>\_express\UDB opens and LabVIEW is stuck in the taskbar with no displayed window and at 100% cpu for at least five minutes until I killed it.

thols_2-1642770073480.png

Unpleasant experience.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(1,291 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@billko wrote:

With this one, you can plug in any set of buttons.  Also, you can have a custom entry field.

In that case, I could try to load it up at home.  (Not sure they will let me do it at work, though.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(1,260 Views)

I broke the configure functionality just before I zipped it up (just t minor error flow "improvement. D'oh).

The there's an error flow issue with the installer: If LV is not run as admin, the installer can't update the user.lib; instead of throwing a permissions error, and invalid reference error comes out.

I've fixed both of those, but found a couple more installer issues.

This is a back burner project; but I'll get a fixed version out eventually.

Message 8 of 15
(1,255 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I broke the configure functionality just before I zipped it up (just t minor error flow "improvement. D'oh).

The there's an error flow issue with the installer: If LV is not run as admin, the installer can't update the user.lib; instead of throwing a permissions error, and invalid reference error comes out.

You're always giving back to the forum.  THANK YOU!!!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(1,251 Views)

@billko wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

You're always giving back to the forum.  THANK YOU!!!

Does somebody want to help out?  Here are the remaining issues:

• In "Universal Dialog Box\Intstaller\Support\Place on Palette.vi", the call to "Write Palette.vi" fails.
  • In "Universal Dialog Box\Intstaller\Install.vi", If LV isn't running as admin, and you've clicked on paul_cardinale_0-1642865977081.png, then when you install, error 8 gets thrown right away.  I'd like it to check permissions whenever a folder is changed, and show a warning of some kind.  But paul_cardinale_1-1642866197596.png returns binary 111111111 on the folder even though it's not writeable.  What's the cleanest way to check that (or to check whether running as admin)?

• When you do install to user.lib, it doesn't update "... \user.lib\dir.mnu".  Has anyone got a piece of code on hand to do that?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(1,203 Views)