From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo after save?

Dear LabVIEW Community,

Being new to LabVIEW, I was surprised to find that I cannot undo an action after saving a VI.  Is this a bug or a feature?

Cheers,

James Carroll

Research Assistant

Configurable Computing Lab 

Brigham Young University

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,843 Views)

Neither.  It is a typical behavior of most applications.  Try it in Microsoft Excel.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,840 Views)

Yes

Actually. when you save a Vi it is pretty much saying that you are fixing the file at that point, so I'm pretty sure this was the intended behavior.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,839 Views)
As a slight addition, this is how LabVIEW has always worked, by design.  Prior to the "new" VI save format introduced in LabVIEW 8.0, retaining undo information across saves was completely out of the realm of possibility.  You might (or might not) have noticed that LabVIEW does retain undo information across autosaves.  Trust me, you would have noticed if it didn't.  😉  There are still some technical hurdles to do this for explicit saves.  Enabling this functionality is something that's on our radar, but I make no promises as to when you might see it.
Message 4 of 4
(2,807 Views)