LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update XControl Data typedef

Solved!
Go to solution

I changed the XControl Data typedef to a cluster. This was working. Then it became clear that I had to change it another time. I replaced the structure by an INT. Now LabView tells me that it cannot update from the new type definition without incorrectly preserving default values.

Usually you go to the control, right click it and select "Review and Update..." Unfortunately Data in and Data out on the Facade VI are grayed out and are not accessible. Even if I activate "Show Control/Indicator" on the block diagram I cannot right click the control.

What to do now???

Thanks,

Ingo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,118 Views)

I think I've seen this glitch before. The window for the Review and Update might be hidden somewhere on a different monitor or sized down to zero. Try tabbing through windows until you find it. Or share you code and I can take a crack at it. 

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,115 Views)

Hi James,

The problem is not the window. It is absolutely impossible to right click the control. I can click whereever I want but no right click menu appears! So no chance to call the review and update window...

I think it has to do with the fact that you should not be able to delete the Data in/out controls in the facade VI. But since LabView is no longer auto-updating changed typedefs it seems to cause a problem here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,104 Views)

Can you share your code?

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,098 Views)

Thanks James,

I ended up creating the XControl anew. It was in an early state, so not too much work. With the new one I was able to replace the data type inside the "Data" control back and forth without LabView asking me to review and update. So probably something was mixed up inside LabView in my first Facade VI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,060 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IngoB

I've had trouble with that from time to time so I created a tool to fix it.

Copy the attached VI to C:\ ... \National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\project\

If LV is running, exit & restart.

With the troublesome VI frontmost, select from the menu Tools  -> ReApply TypeDef Changes to All Ctls on FP

Note: This VI is set to Run when opened.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 6 of 7
(4,021 Views)

Thanks Paul, this is great!

You did not only help fixing my problem but also motivated me to have a closer look at LabView's scripting functions. I was not aware that it is that simple to get access to all of these interesting functions!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,998 Views)