LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send arbitrary signal to Dc power supply. Help. Please.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello people,

I am a Btech student working with Labview 2013. I have succeeded to generate an Arbitrary Signal via Labview 2013 version for my project. Now,  I need to send the signal to Agilent 6642A dc power supply for ampilfication and it will be used for my experiment. I am facing problem here. 

I am using GPIB USB HS for sending the signal and when I am sending commands *IDN , it is successfully reading and writing, which means I have all my softwares and drivers installed perfectly. I have NI MAX and command expert installed in my pc. 

I have made a program (which is attached) in labview and the GPIB seems to read it ( ACTIVE/Green signal is showing when it is run) . 
But I cannot see it in oscilloscope (Tektronix TDS 2024B) which means something is wrong here. I need the see the signal as shown in the image attached. 

I am new in labview and do not know much. Please help me with the Labview program as I want to see the signal in the oscilloscope as well. 

If any command is required, let me know the command. 

I am stuck. Please Help. 

THanks. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 48
(3,530 Views)

Take this, it's dangerous to go alone.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 2 of 48
(3,461 Views)

Thanks for the reply. 

But what did you mean by giving this link ? I have already bought the Agilent 6642A dc supply. I have it. I can send and read commands. 

You haven't understood my question, have you ?

Help me if possible. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 48
(3,434 Views)

@jeet.saha3.js wrote:

what did you mean by giving this link ? I have already bought the Agilent 6642A dc supply. I have it. I can send and read commands.  You haven't understood my question, have you ?

What I linked to is an Instrument Driver for your very device. I think you are confusing it for a device driver which is very different. Did you follow the link and download it to see?

If you download it you'll see that NI has, lucky for you, provided a set of VIs to perform the communication with your device (examples and everything!). 

Those VIs should eliminate any problems you are having. If you have any problems getting data to your device after using those VIs, then come back here and ask for further help.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 4 of 48
(3,427 Views)

Hello Sir,

Thank you for replying. I had already downloaded the driver and installed it. I cpould see two examples provided after installing. I am still facing problem . 
I think I am successful in sending the data to the GPIB device, but I am not being able to send the signal (which is required). 

After installing the driver, I have so far progressed to know that blocks 'initialize' and 'configure output' options which came , might be of my help. But i am unable to design/wire the vi properly. Can you help me out with the vi ? 

I am not quite sure how to do the wiring and using which blocks. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 48
(3,398 Views)
Are you able to set the supply voltage with the example? If you can do that, I don't understand your problem. I can't look at your VI since I am posting by phone but both the text file and image make no sense. You obviously can't send a waveform to a dc supply except one point at a time.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 48
(3,388 Views)

Sorry, the previous attachment didn't have the pulse that I have generated. The pulse is somewhat like this. (attached) . But i am unable to see when I connect an oscilloscope to the power supply. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 48
(3,385 Views)
That pulse would not be able to be created accurately with a dc supply. It also does not help when you don't answer questions. Are you in fact able to set the output voltage with the example? Do you have an instrument other than the 6642? You really need something that can generate a waveform with specific and precise timing.
Message 8 of 48
(3,377 Views)

Sorry for late reply Sir. 

No I am not able to set output voltage with example. 

And if this type of dc pulse is unable to be generated from dc supply, will I be able to send sine or square pulse  to it? 

If so, then how? 

ANd No, I don't have any other supply other than AGILENT 6642A and GPIB USB HS.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 48
(3,366 Views)
If the example does not work, what error code do you get?

A dc supply is just unsuited for an arbitrary signal, sine wave, or pulse except for very low frequencies with a lot of jitter. Is column 1 in the text file supposed to represent time between samples? I'm certain the specs of the supply don't support that kind of update rate. Why did you pick a dc supply when a basic DAQ card would have been cheaper and would have had a hardware timed output that would clock out your signal?
Message 10 of 48
(3,345 Views)