LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send arbitrary signal to Dc power supply. Help. Please.

Solved!
Go to solution

1. The example seems to have a GPIB address(which is 5) in my case, and has a raw data and waveform graph. When I run it, it doesn't show any error code. and doesn't even show anything. 

2. The text file has time in x-axis and amplitude in y-axis. I have modified it a bit(attached) anfd built the signal. 

3. I have this DC supply for amplification. The signal generated through Labview is in mV and mAmp range. So i need to amplify it. 6642A amplifies it 4 times. 
Since I have the GPIB, I suppose I don't need the DAQ and DAQ won't amplify too.  Correct me if I am wrong.  

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 48
(1,258 Views)

Text file modified. used for signal generation. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 48
(1,256 Views)
The dc supply doesn't amplify. It sets the output voltage to whatever you set it to. Same as what a daq card would do.

Your timing seems more reasonable now with a second or so between points. You would use the driver fiction that sets the voltage inside a loop and just pass in the array of voltages. Pass in the array of times to a Time Delay function to get waits between step changes.

I'm not sure why you can't get the driver example to work though. I would assume you've checked the output by manually setting a voltage and measuring it?
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 48
(1,241 Views)

1. It's written in the manual that it does amplify. That is precisely the reason I have bought it. And I am sure about its amplification. Moreover it's input range is from 0 to -5V. Yes negative range. Output range 0-20v. 0-10A. 

2. I could not understand what you have suggested by passing the voltage array and time delay step. It would be more beneficial if you help by pictures of vi or directly through vi. 

3.Yes, I've set the voltage manually and checked it in oscilloscope. It's working. 

I have attached one image of the program. Have a look and please suugest any corrections. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 48
(1,231 Views)
You've already been told to use the driver. Your code makes no sense sense you are just sending some number without the properly formatted SCPI command. You just can't make up what you write to the instrument. You should also use VISA for your communication.
Message 15 of 48
(1,202 Views)
And where in the manual do you see that it amplifies?
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 48
(1,196 Views)
Are you talking about the analog programming option when you talk about amplification? That's sort of true but absolutely irrelevant since you don't have a different dc source to program it. Your programming is done by GPIB.
Message 17 of 48
(1,177 Views)

By amplification I meant, if I'm sending a signal in 1mv range, it gives output of 4mv. 

Now, the sample prgrogram which I found (GPIB with Visa), I run it and it shows the error -1073807339(image attached). Timeout expired, I searched for the forum and see some answers but none of much help. 

I made up a program using the driver blocks and and seems to be running but I'm still unable to see the signal/voltage from output when I try to see in oscilloscope and multimeter. 
The image of the vi is also attached. Please have a look. 

Thanks. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 48
(1,122 Views)
Are you expecting some sort of arbitrary signal with the code you wrote? Since you are sending only a single point, that will obviously not work. It's pointless to have it in a loop. Put a constant of 1 on the block diagram just for a test. There is no amplification. That's just silly. With a constant, you should get the supply to output that voltage.

I have no idea where you got the code in the first image. It does seem to be applicable to your instrument.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 48
(1,109 Views)

Yes. I am expecting arbitrary signal with this code, unable to. I don't understand how come I'm sending only one point? I can see the signal in front panel but cannot see in oscilloscope. 

As said by you, I did give  a constant of 2 and changed the code(a bit). The blocks used here are of Agilent 6642A. But Still when I am trying to measure the output in multimeter, I cannot see the desired 2V. 

The first code was just an example. Sorry for that. 

P.S. - Now I am losing my hopes. I am started to think whether it's even possible to give desired output(signal arbitrary) through the dc supply via GPIB from labview! I don't think it's possible. Is it possible sir? 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 48
(1,083 Views)