LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to resolve VI error: "LabView cannot update from type definition without incorrectly preserving default values"

I can't resolve this error from the Error List dialog: "LabView cannot update from type definition without incorrectly preserving default values"

The VI is complicated but nearly all of it can be ignored for this particular issue.

I have an enum type def that I use as my state for my state machine.

I changed the type def--added a state, moved some things around.

Now I cannot resolve this error.

Under "details" in the "Error List" dialog it tells me "You must right-click this control and select Review and Update from Type Def..."

A. I have checked every single instance of my type def (every single one is a constant) and they are all set to "auto-update" which means that the option to "Review and Update" is grayed out and unavailable to me.

B. I have even taken the extreme step of deleting the shift register in question, and every single instance of the type def constants from within my code except for one--the input to the case structure.  The error still remains.  At which point clicking on "show error" does a strange thing: it highlights an empty area where the shift register USED to be--but no longer exists.  It seems to me that this must be some bug, since the error remains even after I delete everything that seems to be associated with it.  I'm at an impasse now.  

I have attached my main VI "TempPressMain", the "Handle Errors" subVI, and the type def in question.

Any ideas?  Much thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,663 Views)

Oh goodness gracious I figured out my own problem.  My first clue was when I turned on the "warnings" and all of these "unused" and "unwired" constants showed up.  I kept clicking on them and they would appear as an empty box in the middle of a blank white area outside of all the code.  I finally figured out that there were a number of unused constants "hidden" outside the bounds of the case structure--during the long course of coding this up they had been moved and slid right out of the view.  Once I opened up the windows far enough these hidden constants became visible, I was able to delete them all as none of them were doing anything, and since one of them was an un-updated enum constant, that turned out to be the culprit. 

Message 2 of 2
(3,649 Views)