LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing 2 different LabVIEW Runtime versions at once?

Hello everybody,

I've just upgraded to LabVIEW 2015 on a brand new workstation and have been working on getting things set up and rebuilding my baseline apps in 2015 now while I have some time for chasing issues (my thinking being that if I need to modify something in a pinch, I'd rather have already migrated the code so I'm not chasing those issues when I can ill afford the time). My baseline Runtime engine deployment usually consists of:

• LabVIEW Runtime Engine
  • NI-VISA runtime
  • NI-DAQmx runtime
  • NI-MAX (for configuration and/or comm debugging)

What I'm seeing now is that NI-MAX 15.0 is requiring LabVIEW Runtime 2014 SP1 f3, while my deployed apps require LabVIEW Runtime 2015. It seems to me that NI-MAX 15.0 should be using Runtime 2015 instead, and save me about 200 MB on my installer! This just seems wrong to me that I should have to install Runtime 2014 for just that one program. Is there some update I'm missing?

____
Ryan R.
R&D
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,873 Views)

My experience is that MAX and LabVIEW run-time versions are independent.  What if you are developing in LabWindows\CVI, you do not have LabVIEW runtime at all, how can Max demand it?

When does Max demand it? During installer build or exe load on target?

Do you have remains of 2014 left on your development machine? Connection can be through old daqmx VIs that require LV2014 engine.

Another option is link, stored in installer configuration. Try to create a new one, not modify old.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,845 Views)

I'm complaining about the installer build configuration. As soon as NI-MAX 15.0 is selected, LabVIEW Runtime 2014 SP1 f3 is selected in grey mandate.

Ryan R.

____
Ryan R.
R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,834 Views)

I think what what you're seeing is that some parts of MAX are compiled LabVIEW applications, and in order to run they require the runtime engine for the version with which they were compiled. It's not surprising that those tools were built in an older version of LabVIEW since the new one would have been in development at the same time as the MAX tools from there same version. Sorry, no way around this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,812 Views)