LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to SPI

Hi

Can we read USB device using Labview 8. Our application can be better explain with the help of attached block diagram. Please find the attached Document. In this application , we are using a sensor having SPI interface.Then with the help of National Instruments USB to SPI converter we are interfacing it with the PC.

My question is can we read the data from a sensor which is connected to PC using NI USB to SPI converter.

Please reply as soon as possible since it is very urgent.

Thanks & Regards

R
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,370 Views)

For the above explained application we are using NI USB-8451.

Now for reading the data , should i use VISA vis or DAQmx VIs.

Regards

R

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,356 Views)
See here.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,346 Views)

Hello

Thanks for reply.

As we are planning to use NI USB 8451card (we have finalized it but still have to purchase).

Now my main question is ,

should i treat it as USB DAQ card & use DAQ VIs

or as an USB device which communicate using text based communication & use VISA VIs.

Please reply as soon as possible

Thanks & Regards

R

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,322 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,302 Views)
Hello R,

No, you don't communicate with the USB-8451 using DAQ VIs; the 8451 has it's own driver (NI-845x), and the first link Dennis provided above will take you to the download page. See the devzone document here for some more information on using the 8451.  Also, when you download the driver, you will find some shipping examples in the example finder, which will help you get started. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,291 Views)

Hi

In one of our application I have to read the internal register values of the sensors. I am using NI 8451 card.

Pin Details of the sensors are-

1. SDIO – Serial Port Data Input & Output
  2. XY_LED – Led Control
  3. NRESET – Reset Pin (active low input)
  4. NCS – Chip select (active low input)
  5. VDD5 – Supply voltage
  6. GND – Ground
  7. REG0- Regulator Output
  8. SCLK – Serial Clock Input

My question is NI 8451 is having separate pins for SDO & SDI But sensor is having one pin for SDIO. How to connect them  ,I have to read the register values & some registers are read/writable.??

Please reply as soon as possible, it is very urgent

Regards

R

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,211 Views)
Duplicate post

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,162 Views)

HI

How can we configure the spi frequency of operation for NI-USB-8451

I am developing a testing tool which requires the data to come from PC instead of a card reader which speaks to the testing device on spi.

however different card readers speak on different spi frequency and i need that to be configurable. Can this be done in lab view. And I need some more i/o signalling along with the spi. Is this possible.

rahul 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,027 Views)

The 8451 SPI frequency is set the "NI-845x SPI Script Clock Rate" VI. Check out Chapter 8 of the software manual.

In terms of  "more I/O signaling" the 8451 has 8 general purpose digital I/O lines. This information is in the User Guide and Specifications.

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 05-27-2009 11:22 AM
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,020 Views)