From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB camera with labview base development system

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I purchased the base development Labview 2018 SP1 and NXG. I'm trying to connect a USB camera and have just a basic picture imported into labview to determine the size of an object. I don't see how to acquire an image within Labview. Seems like a pretty basic function, do I need some sort of add on? I want to acquire a picture from a USB camera and then make a basic decision like is the item there or not.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,958 Views)

Well, it will depend on which camera you have. Like I told you in your other thread, if you get something like a Basler camera or another brand that conforms to the USB3 Vision standard, then you can use NI's Vision Acquisition Software. It costs ~$450. If you have a Thorlabs camera, it comes with their own Thorcam API which is much less user friendly, but free (although their cameras cost quite a bit more to pay for their "free" software).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,947 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TestEng12

To do what you want, you need two additional modules:  the Vision Acquisition Software (which provides the interface to USB Cameras) and the Vision Development Module (which provides functions to manipulate Images).  I know that the VAS does not come with the Base System, and suspect that the VDM is also an "addon".  Contact NI for more details.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,943 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

To do what you want, you need two additional modules:  the Vision Acquisition Software (which provides the interface to USB Cameras) and the Vision Development Module (which provides functions to manipulate Images).  I know that the VAS does not come with the Base System, and suspect that the VDM is also an "addon".  Contact NI for more details.

Bob Schor

Ok, thanks that answers my question. It seems everything is an additional cost or yearly fee. Not a complaint about your answer, the answer was clear and helpful. To me I would assume doing something so basic would be included.

@geregory, Yes I'm looking at the vision alternative to the color sensor in my other thread. I ordered a sensor from sparkfun but I have doubts it will work or work reasonably easy. Thought I would plug in a dynoscope that I have and play around with the vision but it seems not to be. I contacted NI but they have a long response time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,939 Views)

I'm not familiar with a dynoscope. The first thing that comes up is "Dino-lite microscope", is that what you have? If so, it looks like their SDK supports LabVIEW:

https://www.dino-lite.com/download06.php

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,934 Views)