LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB RESOURCE NAME DETAILS

Solved!
Go to solution

Read many of the posts here and manged to get "COM25" to display when I select COM port from VISA window.

However, VISA Interactive Control Window displays the following detailed description of the same port:

"ASRL25 (COM25 - MicroStrain Virtual COM Port)"

I need my LV app to display this detailed name.

Suggestions?

Yes, I did also read the NI LV Tutorial on this topic, just did not gleen answer 😉

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,020 Views)

ASRL25 is part of the canonical name (i.e. ASRL1::INSTR) and the other information is how the port is listed in windows device manager. There's probably a way to get the information in the windows registry. You can get the canonical name with a VISA property node (Resource Name). You could also simply assign whatever you want as a VISA alias.

p.s. You want to learn how to post images. Your's are linked to your C drive. Use the Add Attachments and then use the 'Upload or insert an image' button on the toolbar.

Message 2 of 7
(3,013 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author markfranklin

If you wire a property node up to the VISA Reference you should be able to find the property Interface Information:Interface Description. This should give you the detailed name.

Interface description.png

If that doesnt work for you there are various other techniques such as using some calls to the .NET framework or querying the registry (providing your on Windows).

Shaun 

Message 3 of 7
(2,990 Views)

I was able to do as you suggested, and wire up a property node and select the resource name.

However, it just gave me the com25, nothing more.

Any idea how I may read the detailed info from Windows some how??

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,977 Views)

Oops, I would wiring error........that does give me the resource name....completely.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,974 Views)

I've only ever used the GeneralSettings.ResourceName and did not know this returned different information. Not sure when I would ever need it but it's good to know.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,961 Views)
It became useful for me because I needed to find out what COM port was a particular USB device (this particular thing had a built-in USB-RS232 adaptor). I used this information to search for the appropriate vendor information (ie looking for "USB RS232 Adaptor by CompanyX" instead of the "Communications Port" from a regular COM port).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,947 Views)