cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-8502 loses connection randomly

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all!

I am using XNET & USB-8502 to communicate over CAN bus to a device we are currently testing.
CAN interfaces are connected to the transmission controller (CAN1) and auxiliary hydraulics (CAN2) buses.
This is new production line test system and both system cables are twisted pair type and buses are terminated
on each end with 120ohm resistors.

I have noted some issues with the communication over the CAN bus being lost randomly, application opens
error message -1074384718 "The NI-XNET driver no longer communnicate with the device" and both CAN bus
status leds switches off and status led fixed orange. After that I have to restart my application.
I check USB-8502 status from the MAX so it is "present" and self test returns "success".
I tested USB-8502 also with other PC USB port but result was same. Normally system work fine quite long time.

I have built Labview2020 application (32bit). Application uses basic single point read and write operations (XNet session).
Operating system is Win10 64bit and PC is Advantech industrial model:

Advantech IPC-7130L
*AIMB-503G2-00A1E (PCI) mother board
Bios setting are currently factory default
*Intel i5 2.0Ghz 4-Core
*8GB RAM
*2x 240GB SATA SSD, MLC
*DVD+-RW Optical

Device manager NI-XNET Devices\NI USB-8502 driver date is 26.3.2021 and version 20.5.1.49165.
I have disabled all USB power saving features from the Device manager and
USB selective suspend' setting is disabled also. Power off mode is defined to "never".

We do system tests and commissioning again on next monday and I hope that get answer soon.

Best regards

Erkki Heinänen
Temikon Oy / Finland

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,523 Views)

Hello  ErkkiH,

Hope you are doing well and enjoying the holidays.

I'm sending you a link that describes the same error (the device is another but the situation is the same).

Error -1074384718: The XNET Driver Can No Longer Communicate with the Device - National Instruments

Also, I'm placing here a VI that might be helpful for the future.

Best regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KUDOS are highly welcomed 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,478 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ErkkiH

As PMF as suggested above,
ensure that the USB sleep options are disbled, (also the HDD sleep and any other PC power saving options).
Then check the system routing for HV lines going past the CAN or other sources of big EMF (door solenoids can mess the system if you don't route your test wiring and shield it well enough.

You might even be losing the device due to grounding issues caused by the DUT ground being different from the Mains and the Mains of the test equipment getting pulled around by other devices (assuming you're testing cars) - isolate everything from mains with a UPS if you can and really check for safe electrical grounding before proceeding.
(Been there had that problem with a CAN device, took 2 weeks to find the source of the intermittent issue onsite at customers)

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,441 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ErkkiH

Thanks for the info!

We connected the USB-8502 adapter to the computer with the help of a USB hub with external power supply and it started working.  At the same time, all the power saving features of Windows were also blocked and I checked cable shielding, bus temination and grounding also. 

Have a nice day

Best regards

ErkkiH

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,425 Views)