LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP Protocol? IPv4?

Solved!
Go to solution

Just wondering if anyone knows what specific protocol Labviews UDP blocks run on?  IPv6?  TIPC?  I am assuming IPv4...

Thanks,

-Greg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,790 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gdubb85
LabVIEW doesn't go into that level of detail; the UDP primitives (and other networking functions) are just wrappers around the operating system's network stack.  UDP is built on IP and as far as I know LabVIEW does not yet support IPv6 so it's IPv4.
Message 2 of 4
(2,779 Views)

I can confirm nathan's statement fully. The LabVIEW network nodes are just a rather thin layer around the OS network stack for said protocol, but there is no support for IPv6 so far.

The layer is necessary to translate between the C style non blocking interface to the socket library and the LabVIEW asynchronous node execution.

Adding IPv6 support to the LabVIEW nodes should in theory not be so difficult, as it would mostly be limited to modifications in the TCP Open function and the IP To String and vice versa nodes, but in practices there is a bit more to it such as the TCP Create Listener and TCP Wait Listener as well as UDP Read and Write functions and the UDP Multicast variants that need to be adapted to support IPv6 addressing. And the most tricky part about all this is that any change made can under no circumstances cause any regressions with older software as the TCP/IP functions are a very fundamental part of many professional software applications created with LabVIEW so far.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 07-16-2009 11:38 AM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,764 Views)
Thanks! Just what I thought.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,749 Views)