LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two different front panel for the same VI ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody !

For a project in my school, I need to use labview to both project a grid on a projector and control a camera to capture this grid. I know it's possible to "send" the front panel on a second screen (the projector in my case) but is it still possible to have another front panel on the main screen ? Do I need to use a sub-VI for that ?

Thanks in advance !

Lionel Schmied

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,524 Views)

Having two sub-vi's called from a main vi, one to do the "projecting" the other controlling the camera, would be a fine method. The main can be minimized the other two can have their front panels set to open when called. If there is a need to communicate between them you should look up the "producer/consumer" example under the help/examples pull down in the LabVIEW front panel toolbar.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,507 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lionel_sc

I have done something similar to this as far back as LV 5.  The "projection" VI can be a subVI which runs in parallel with the main VI or a regular subVI which is called within a loop in the Main VI whenever the value on the screen needs to be updated. The subVI contains a hidden control to get inputs from Main and a Picture indicator for the image to be projected - no code executes inside the subVI.  The Main VI panel is on the computer screen and can be sued to control or monitor what is projected.  I have also written a "Slide Show" program which behaves similarly.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,501 Views)

Thank you both answers helped me ! To my surprise, adding just the VI for projecting as a sub-VI worked great !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,472 Views)