From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two different front panel for the same VI ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody !

For a project in my school, I need to use labview to both project a grid on a projector and control a camera to capture this grid. I know it's possible to "send" the front panel on a second screen (the projector in my case) but is it still possible to have another front panel on the main screen ? Do I need to use a sub-VI for that ?

Thanks in advance !

Lionel Schmied

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,561 Views)

Having two sub-vi's called from a main vi, one to do the "projecting" the other controlling the camera, would be a fine method. The main can be minimized the other two can have their front panels set to open when called. If there is a need to communicate between them you should look up the "producer/consumer" example under the help/examples pull down in the LabVIEW front panel toolbar.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,544 Views)
Solution
Accepted by lionel_sc

I have done something similar to this as far back as LV 5.  The "projection" VI can be a subVI which runs in parallel with the main VI or a regular subVI which is called within a loop in the Main VI whenever the value on the screen needs to be updated. The subVI contains a hidden control to get inputs from Main and a Picture indicator for the image to be projected - no code executes inside the subVI.  The Main VI panel is on the computer screen and can be sued to control or monitor what is projected.  I have also written a "Slide Show" program which behaves similarly.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,538 Views)

Thank you both answers helped me ! To my surprise, adding just the VI for projecting as a sub-VI worked great !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,509 Views)