From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with output string size of the 'number to hexadecimal string' VI

Hi everyone.

I am new to Labview, so I apologise if this question is too simple. I am trying to convert a float to a hex string so I can pass it to a VISA Write VI. I first cast it, so it becomes a 32-bit int and then on to the 'number to hex string' VI. Now, since after the casting the number is a 32-bit int, I would assume that the output hex string would also be 32-bit long (so 4 bytes, which is what I need). However, I use the 'string length' Vi and it says the hex string is 8-byte long. Could someone please tell me why this is the case?

Thank you very much in advance,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,240 Views)

Are you sure it is 8 bytes? Don't confuse a nibble and a byte.

Try the "flatten to string" function. 

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,237 Views)

The number to hex string VI converts a number to an ASCII string representation of the number, so 0xABCDEF01 would become the literal string "ABCDEF01", which is 8 bytes long.  If you want the int converted into the binary string, you can use type cast to cast it to a string.  Then it would be a the string "\AB\CD\EF\01" which would be 4 bytes, the first character ASCII 0xAB, etc.

Message 3 of 4
(2,230 Views)

Thanks a lot, type cast solved it. I didn't know it could output strings too.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,219 Views)