From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger counter using the output from another counter

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to configure my USB-6221 Board in the following mode

1. Counter0: Generates pulses in continuous mode.

2. Counter1: Is triggered by the Counter0 Pulse (rising edge) and generates a train of 128 impulses with a certain frequency.

3. DigitalInput: Using the pulses generated by the Counter read 128 values from Digital Input

Cnt0: _____|______________|______________|______________|_________

Cnt1: ______||||||||||||_________||||||||||||_________||||||||||||__________||||||||||||___

DigIn:______xxxxx_________xxxxx__________xxxxx_________xxxxx____

The problem is: I don't manage to trigger the Cnt1 using the output from Cnt0.

If I connect using the Cnt0InternalOutput: I get the error: this connection is not supported by the board

If I connect the Trigger to a PFI(e.g. PFI5) I get the error: that some resource from Cnt0 is used (I don't see any reason why by ok).

I've been trying for a while to make in in different way (I've completely mixed up my vi) but I didn't manage.

If someone has some suggestion please shear them.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,973 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaulieQ

Ignore my previous post.

One mistake is that Sample Clock: Finite Sample doesn't seem to work with trigger in this configuration.

Anyhow I found a way to work around and to achieve my final goal (the purpose of the test) with a complete other counters and digital input configuration.

Message 2 of 7
(2,963 Views)

Hi,

Since your question seemed to be answered please mark your own post as answer.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,956 Views)

Would you mind sharing your solution? I just ran into the same problem.

Thanks a lot!

Bef 

-DB
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,795 Views)

What I'd try first is to use Counter 1 as a Pause Trigger for Counter 2, and then set Counter 1's

pulse width to be 128 periods of Counter 2.  That oughta work for an M-series.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,788 Views)

Thanks!

I figured that out as well. The tricky part was finding the "Ctr1InternalOutput" - channel that has to be connected to the pause-trigger-input. (right-click on the constant - name filtering - show advanced)

-DB
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,783 Views)

Hi Bef,

I don't remember exactly which was that solution.

After several days I didn't use the NI board anymore for that project. What I needed was to complex for an Acquisition board so I did everything using a FPGA.

Sorry for not being able to help you more.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,773 Views)