LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger 5102 at the Nth pulse counted with 6024E

Background: I am using LV6.1. I have a PCI-5102 and a PCI-6024E card in my host computer, connected with a RTSI cable. In addition to that, I am using an SC-2345 enclosure. I need to do measurements on Quadrature Encoder signals.
I have two questions.

a) I'd like to capture one motor revolution worth of data (CHA and CHB of the Encoder), but the encoder does not provide an index channel. I have to do this repeatedly, I need to trigger at the same angular position every time, but I do not need to capture every single revolution. I'd like to set one of the counters of the 6024E card to generate a pulse every N count (divide the frequency by N). This will allow me to trigger on the same pulse. How do I do that?

b)
What is already given is that, the CHA encoder signal is already hard wired to (SC-2345) screw terminal 37(PFI8/GPCTR0_SOURCE) and CHB is to screw terminal 16(DIO6/GPCTR0_UP/DWN). This is done to detect the rotational direction.
Should I use a relay module to allow for the disconnection of screw terminal 37 and 16, or is it OK to leave it hard wired and can I programmatically change the setup of the counter? How do I do that?

Note: I did try to use the counter as a frequency divider, and use digital triggering on the 5102 but somehow it still triggers at random rotational positions. Yes, the encoder signals do have some noise on them.
Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,242 Views)
Greetings,

Generating a single pulse every N counts will require that you use one of your counters to take the encoder measurement and the other counter to generate the pulse. The counter performing the encoder measurement is only able to generate a pulse when it reaches terminal count.

You should be able to leave terminals 16 and 37 hard wired if you intend to always use this counter to measure the encoder. If you plan to change the setup of this counter to perform a different function with different signals, you will need to disconnect the encoder signals. You can programmatically change the setup of a counter using the Counter Group Config VI.

Good luck with your application.

Spencer S.
Message 2 of 2
(2,242 Views)