Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Light

Solved!
Go to solution

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Good Afternoon,

I’m an electrical engineering student and I’m really interested in learning more about LabVIEW. So, I decided to make my own small projects such as controlling relays and traffic lights. I can say I was pretty successful with my relay project and I was able to use 5 v relay to control 120 v light bulb (made me feel pretty good). Anyway, I am working on traffic light control and by reading other posts and the book I was able to create the program (attached) however my question would be possible using LEDs and breadboard to simulate this in real life? if so what I/O I should connect to? I’m kind of lost honestly!  Any diagram or circuit schematic I can find somewhere?

Or I need a different program ? 

This is absolutely NOT school or work-related project, I’m trying to get a good understanding of LabVIEW MyRio combination to build and control circuits!  

Sorry for the long post. Any feedback or guidance to point me in the right direction, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,911 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Aladdin2020

Howdy!

There are a few ways you can go about connecting this demo up to some actual hardware. If you're looking to use a myRIO, and are pretty new too, you can start here: https://learn.ni.com/teach/resources/92

That guide should be enough to walk you through the basics of hooking up some external doodads to the device and provides sample VIs to look at to get an understanding of how to use it.  

I haven't used a myRIO myself, but I've used a few other RT targets, and I'm sure the general programming paradigm is the same. You build a VI on your PC, then deploy that VI as a startup VI on the myRIO, and every time the device boots it will begin running that VI.

You'll need to start off with a LabVIEW project. Loose VIs are good for one-off testing or 'scrap' work, but to be able to deply your code or build it into something more useful, you'll need to have a project. Once you add the myRIO to your project, you'll have access to all of the IO right on your block diagram. You can use any of the peripherals almost as easy as using any other property node. 

Best of luck!

Nathan Murphy
Message 2 of 3
(3,889 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Aladdin2020

Hi LLawrence,

Here is some "hardware" for you to play with 🙂 It has 3 digital channels which you can set to high or low.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,838 Views)