LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tooltip display glitch

Hi folks,

I've been seeing a display glitch with tooltips for several LabVIEW versions now.

I'm currently on Win7 64bit, LabVIEW 2013 SP1 32bit.

Moving your mouse cursor from an element with a tooltip to one without tt before the tt appears over the first element will make the tt display briefly while hovering the mouse over the element without tt when decorations are involved. See attached vi (saved for 2010)

I thought maybe it's worth reporting as a bug, since I couldn't find it in the known issues. Could anyone please confirm it is not just me first?

I know this isn't severe - it's just driving me nuts and it may confuse customers.

Best Regards

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,875 Views)

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with tooltips and cannot provide a solution, but I can definitely confirm the behavior:

It seems like the tooltip is triggered on a delay.  If it detects you hovering over the text on the left, it waits about 2 seconds and then displays the tooltip -- regardless of whether or not you have moved the mouse since.  Even when moving the mouse away in any direction, I saw the tooltip flash after the delay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If someone helped you out, please select their post as the solution and/or give them Kudos!
Message 2 of 8
(2,870 Views)

Thanks for bothering to check this.

The glitch only appears if the decoration present though. And if you start on the element with the tooltip and move it to empty space on the BD no tooltip appears at all.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,863 Views)

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but I saw the same behavior if I started on the tooltip text and moved to empty space.  It should also be noted that I tried this in LabVIEW 2013 (so its not version specific by any means).  I forgot to mention that above. 

I found that if I hovered over the text for about half a second or more, regardless of where i moved my mouse on screen (including empty space), the tooltip would flash.  However if I kept my mouse hovered over that text, (as intended) it would show the tooltip correctly (not flash but persist on screen).

EDIT 1:

I don't have much time to mess around with it myself, but according to the Tip Strip - How To Guide, you can edit the Tip Strip Properties.  Perhaps altering some of these may remedy the issue you are seeing.  Its a long shot, but it seems to be the only information I can find on them:

Data type
Permissions Read/Write
Available in Run-Time Engine Yes
Available in Real-Time Operating System Yes
Settable when the VI is running Yes
Loads the front panel into memory No
Need to authenticate before use No
Loads the block diagram into memory No
Remote access allowed Yes
Must wait until user interface is idle No
Available with control VIs No
Available with global VIs No
Available with strict type definitions Yes
Available with polymorphic VIs No
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If someone helped you out, please select their post as the solution and/or give them Kudos!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,847 Views)

I think you understood me quite fine. Maybe we have different definitions of empty space.

If I move the mouse to space inside the decoration the tooltip will flash. If I move it to empty space (like above the stop button yet under the textbox) it won't flash on my machine.

As to version specific - I think I've been seeing this for years now.

Edit:

Just saw your edit 🙂

Thanks - no need to spend your time on this.

I've filed a service request with NI now.

I don't think the characteristics of the tip strip can be altered - those are not properties available through property nodes.

Message 5 of 8
(2,835 Views)

I tested the VI on my laptop (Win7 64bit, LabVIEW 2013 SP1 32bit).

That's expected behavior.  It's a Windows thing.  Not a problem of LabVIEW.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,818 Views)

Interesting - I really don't like the expected behaviour then. Smiley Wink

I still find it suspicious though - I can't seem to observe this behaviour in other (non-LabVIEW-)programs on my machine, say Libre Office, Notepad++,...

It doesn't happen in LabVIEW programs either unless decorations are used - that led me to believe it could have something to do with how decorations are implemented

How do you know that the tooltip flashing is to be expected? Could you point me to a resource where I can read up on that?

Best Regards

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,790 Views)

> The glitch only appears if the decoration present though. And if you start on the element with the tooltip and move it to empty space on the BD no tooltip appears at all.

I missed this.  It could be a bug then.

> Could you point me to a resource where I can read up on that?

Google for MSDN

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,777 Views)