From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time synchronization using SNTP

Thank you both for your suggestions, I will synchronize time and date programmatically via NTP.

Once I finish writing the VI, I will post it back here.

Best,

Marko.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(887 Views)

Hi Cameron, Marko,

I've run into some of the issues you guys talk about here and was wondering if you ever got a solution for this?

Cameron, you mention it retries 5 times and then stops - until prompt to do so. How exactly do you do this? Can you configure this number of retries?

Thanks a lot!

Cris

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(454 Views)

@mgulin wrote:

Hello all,

I my trying to set up SNTP synchronization of my cRIO to NTP server. To do that, I followed instructions in: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F2B057C72B537EA2862572D100646D43

When I did reboot on my cRIO, time synchronization was successful. Then I changed the clock on cRIO manually to be 2 minutes ahead of that on NTP server. In this way I wanted to test the time synchronization, but nothing happened, i.e. after 30 minutes of waiting clock on the cRIO is still 2 minutes ahead (synchronization interval is set to 5 seconds).

My question is - if I set the clock on cRIO manually to be 2 minutes ahead, will it always be 2 minutes ahead, i.e. will it be synchronized like that? Or SNTP synchronization is not working well?

If synchronization is working well (i.e. it synchronizes 2 minutes ahead because of my manual intervention), how can I test that synchronization is working well during runtime?

Also, I've read somewhere that after synchronization fails to connect with SNTP server 5 times, it won't try ever again. Is this true, and if it is how can I change this?

Best,

Marko.

I know this is answering an ancient post, but I thought I'd mention that a proper implementation of NTP will not jump backwards in time, but rather slows the clock until time catches up to it.  A clock should never run backwards!  In other words, maybe NTP was working properly, but since you set the clock ahead 2 minutes, it was slowing the clock down and you didn't notice.  (For such a big jump, it may take quite a while - might even be days before it finally syncs.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(449 Views)