LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time out error after stopping loop

Hello,

I am new to LabView and am working on a project.

I am creating a program that I want to in real-time:

• Collect the read from my Siglent3045X digital multimeter (DMM)
  • Collect current read from my Keithley6221
  • Make plots of both these data sets as they read
  • Be able to export this data ( I believe I can do this by right clicking the ending graph)
  • It should not have a time limit ( Can be stopped/paused and started at any time )
  • Be able to clear the data/plot and start over so I can take multiple trials
  • Be able to read the latest value as it is being recorded 

I do not have the GPBI cable for my Keithley yet or an ethernet port on my laptop, so I am just creating the program right now for the DMM.

I have an issue where the very first time I create the program and run it, it works perfectly. However, if I ever stop the program and try to run it again, I get a time out error and nothing works. I attached photos with the blockdiagram and front panel.

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,073 Views)
  • Did you pick the correct VISA resource name?
  • Since you are reading outside the loop, the data read only executes once and your chart will display the same old points stored in the input tunnel forever. Does not sound interesting.
  • Did you read the help for the drivers? Maybe look at some example programs? What else is in the driver palette, e.g. an init or close function? Is there another input? Who wrote it? Obviously, inside the driver is a read function that is not happy with it's inputs. did you try to open the subVI for some clues?

Please attach your actual VI, we cannot really debug images.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,052 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback! I believe that I did pick the correct resource name because it is able to plot some points the very very first time I run the program. I wrote this code myself and I am new to lab view. I tried mimicking a few example programs, so that is why I am struggling to understand where my error originates from. I would like this to plot in real time, so reading the same value over and over again is not ideal. 

Attached should be the .vi file. Please let me know if there are any additional questions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(989 Views)

Take some tutorials.  You don't seem to understand Altenbach's point about the Read being inside the loop.

Everything belongs in the while loop.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(977 Views)

Thank you for the feedback

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(964 Views)