LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three-Phase Power Analyzer, Etc.

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this question, or if I should ask it on one of the hardware boards.  Let me know if I should move it, please.

I need to set up a LabVIEW-based system to monitor the following:

1.  Output from three-phase power analyzer (480VAC, 0-100AAC) - this could involved monitoring formatted power-quality data from a power analyzer OR monitoring voltage and current on all phases, then doing the power quality calcs in LabVIEW

2.  DC output current (0-200ADC) - This needs to be relatively fast (2000 samples/sec), but not very precise (0.1A resolution would be fine).

3.  DC output voltage (0-600VDC) - Again, this needs to be fast but not very precise.  See current specs, above.

4.  CAN bus - I'll be monitoring a CAN bus and processing CAN data, probably using an NI USB-8473.  I have much of the CAN code written already.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?  Has anyone had good results with specific power analyzers tied into an NI-based system?  What about current probes?  High voltage meters?  Is there any pre-written LabVIEW code for three-phase power analysis?

Many thanks in advance.

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,142 Views)

@diarmaede wrote:

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this question, or if I should ask it on one of the hardware boards.  Let me know if I should move it, please.

I need to set up a LabVIEW-based system to monitor the following:

1.  Output from three-phase power analyzer (480VAC, 0-100AAC) - this could involved monitoring formatted power-quality data from a power analyzer OR monitoring voltage and current on all phases, then doing the power quality calcs in LabVIEW

2.  DC output current (0-200ADC) - This needs to be relatively fast (2000 samples/sec), but not very precise (0.1A resolution would be fine).

3.  DC output voltage (0-600VDC) - Again, this needs to be fast but not very precise.  See current specs, above.

4.  CAN bus - I'll be monitoring a CAN bus and processing CAN data, probably using an NI USB-8473.  I have much of the CAN code written already.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?  Has anyone had good results with specific power analyzers tied into an NI-based system?  What about current probes?  High voltage meters?  Is there any pre-written LabVIEW code for three-phase power analysis?

Many thanks in advance.

Hmm... I have used a few three phase power analyzers from Voltech, Valhalla, and Yokogawa with LabView.

Right now I would say Yokogawa has my vote. Either the WT230 or (if you got the budget) a WT500. I am currently using both and find the Yokogawa supplied LabView vi's complete and full featured. Since neither of these can measure 100 amps directly you will need to use external current transformers. For best results I recommend buying matching current clamps from Yokogawa when you buy the analyzer Their use is pretty straight forward just enter the scaling factor into the instrument and the readings will be ranged correctly.

DC current and voltage that high will require a current shunt and some scaling for your voltage. Then you could measure it with any decent DAQ device, maybe a cheap as a NI-USB6009. We like to use the Agilent 34970A with a 34901A multiplexer card for this application. The 34970A/34901A is our Engineering Lab workhouse it has the benefit of ISOLATED CHANNELS direct measurement of 300VAC/DC and it can read thermocouples.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 2 of 7
(4,122 Views)

Thanks for this info.  It is very helpful.  How do you sync the timing of the various system components?  I need to measure response time with approximately 1ms resolution.

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,085 Views)

@diarmaede wrote:

Thanks for this info.  It is very helpful.  How do you sync the timing of the various system components?  I need to measure response time with approximately 1ms resolution.

Very carefully...Smiley Wink

I would need more detailed information on your test setup.

I am guessing you are testing a UPS? Is your "response time" really transfer time from utility loss to UPS inverter start up? 

If so I take that type of measurement with an oscilloscope, a LeCroy Waverunner 44Xi series.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,081 Views)

I'm testing electric vehicle battery chargers against a standard that dictates timing requirements very precisely.  Requirement such as "Contactor X must close within Yms of the UUT sending the Z command on the CAN bus," or "Current must go to X amps within Yms of the UUT sending the V command on the CAN bus."  Stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,073 Views)

@diarmaede wrote:

I'm testing electric vehicle battery chargers against a standard that dictates timing requirements very precisely.  Requirement such as "Contactor X must close within Yms of the UUT sending the Z command on the CAN bus," or "Current must go to X amps within Yms of the UUT sending the V command on the CAN bus."  Stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Hmmm... My first notion for measurements this fast would be to use an oscilloscope triggered on the conatctor or CAN bus message. The LeCroy's I mentioned can even decode CAN bus messages if you get the proper options.

Otherwise if these measurements are just on the DC side then I believe one of NI's DAQ's would be fast enough.

The AC side would defiantly require a scope, because I do not believe the power analyzers are fast enough. But I could be wrong as they do have an "inrush" measurement function that could possibly work for this application? 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,066 Views)

Take a look at a yokogawa DL850V scopecorder. It has a canbus card for monitoring. You can also install other cards for voltage measurement... Yokogawa has some nice power analyzers also. Might be able to find an app note on their website showing how to use them all together.

http://tmi.yokogawa.com/products/data-acquisition-equipment/scopecorders-oscillographic-recorders/dl...

http://www.scopecorder.net/

Not really labview hardware, but I have written vi's to grab data from an older DL708E scopecorder.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,022 Views)