cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The quickest way to search a 2D array for matching

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

Please find the VI attached, full credit to altenbach from his previous reply on Re: How to match data in different array columns

I will be manipulating a 1000 row array with two columns for matching. I was just wondering if there was a quicker way to achieve this than the design below. I was just considering latency, especially with the fact that large batch tests will be run in the future. 

I had an idea that a case structure could also be used to identify the user input, but wasn't quite sure if latency would have any impact.  LookUpTable.PNG

Open to any ideas you may have. 

Many Thanks & have a nice weekend!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(6,977 Views)

No VI is attached. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(6,974 Views)

Sure, VI now attached

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(6,938 Views)

Here's mine. I don't know how fast it is. I believe you can make a nice lookup table using variant attributes, but this is just easy...

temp.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(6,925 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author neunited

@Gregory wrote:

I believe you can make a nice lookup table using variant attributes, but this is just easy...

Yes, this is clearly a prime case for a variant attribute table based LUT. Now you don't even need a case structure. 😄

FruitsLUT.png

You would place the parts on the left into a subVI and create a new variant whenever you want to load a new LUT from file. Note that a variant based LUT is very efficient.

(EDIT 04-18-2022: corrected attachment to remove extraneous \n default value in string control)

Message 5 of 20
(6,909 Views)

Altenbach Thank you, 

I ran the simulation a few times comparing the original vs. your LUT and noticed a substantial improvement in the latency. 

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. 

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(6,838 Views)

neunited wrote:

I ran the simulation a few times comparing the original vs. your LUT and noticed a substantial improvement in the latency. 

For large tables, the difference will be dramatic. "Search array" needs to inspect about half the elements on average before a match is found (best case 1, worst case N elements, if not found also N elements).

If you know that the array is sorted, you could substitute a binary search where it is sufficient to inspect only log2(N) elements before getting the result. (search array could add this option in the future, that's why I made this idea, but you could also roll your own of course). Imagine if you had a LUT with about 64k entries. Search needs to inspect between 1 and 64k entries (average about 32k, but every single element whenever the search fails) while a binary search on 64k elements only needs to look at 16 elements in the worst case, i.e. many orders of magnitude less.

Variant attributes use a highly efficient internal data structure (red black tree) that also performs in log2(N). I use it for example to cache the results of certain expensive calculations to avoid recalculations and it performs great (details).

Message 7 of 20
(6,834 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Gregory wrote:

I believe you can make a nice lookup table using variant attributes, but this is just easy...

Yes, this is clearly a prime case for a variant attribute table based LUT. Now you don't even need a case structure. 😄

FruitsLUT.png

You would place the parts on the left into a subVI and create a new variant whenever you want to load a new LUT from file. Note that a variant based LUT is very efficient.

Dude, that was awesome.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(6,783 Views)

hello every one, could you please give me a VI file for better understanding. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(5,581 Views)

Hi sam,

see the attachment in message #5…

(When you want something else you should ask more specific!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 10 of 20
(5,577 Views)