From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The full development version of Labview is required to fix the errors

Hi all,

I'm seeing a strange version of this error.

I have built a small app with only one VI and compiled it to an exe as per usual.

This works fine on my PC, my wife's PC (with just the runtime engine) and on my work PC.

I sent the file to my client and it doesn't work on either his PC or his notebook.

It's a very strange problem and I'm guessing there maybe an incompatibility issue between software on his PC and the LV8.6 runtime.

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Cheers,

Paul. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31
(12,049 Views)

Check the version of the LV RTE (Run-Time Engine) on the target.  You can have multiple versions installed.

If a subset of DSC is used, additional installers will be necessary (even if DSC RTS is unnecessary).

If Vista is used, application may have to run as Admin.

Check firewall configuration:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0D7B86F4B4D19A5E86256F9A006EECB1

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31
(12,028 Views)

Hi, Paul,

This message is incomplete.

I mean that such message coming when one or more SubVIs are broken on the target PC.

And LabVIEW usually shows also the name of broken VI which caused this problem.

In most cases this problem coming from dynamically called VIs, or from VI with DLLs calls (and DLL missing).

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
(12,011 Views)

I bet you're missing a library on your installer -- that's usually what I screw up to get this problem.  The reason (maybe) you aren't seeing it on your wife's PC or your work PC is that they already have the library installed from some previous installation.  The way to really test this is to install it on a clean PC -- go to the control panel and remove all NI software, then try installing it.

You probably wouldn't want to do this on a development machine, btw.  🙂

If it works on a clean PC, it should work on anything.  (I did say should, not will).

-Matt

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31
(12,001 Views)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Firstly, the complete error message is "This VI is not executable. The full development version of Labview is required to fix the errors"

We are using the same version of the runtime. I sent him a link to the 8.6 rte and ensured that it was correct.

No shared variables are used, no target is used. It's not a realtime app.

There are no SubVIs in the application, no dynamically called VIs.

It is a very simple application.

There are no unusual libraries, not even openG. I am using an event structure, a while loop, boolean controls, a list box, a table, a picture ring and a couple of property nodes.

My wife's PC has never had the runtime on it before.

Like I said, very strange 🙂

Any other ideas? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31
(11,990 Views)

Ashbaernon said:

Firstly, the complete error message is "This VI is not executable. The full development version of Labview is required to fix the errors"

"VI is not executable" can mean the VI is missing some component, but it can also mean the VI or one of its subVIs has not been compiled to the same version as your RTE (Run-Time Engine).  I've specifically seen this using the TestStand full-featured LabVIEW user interface, which was last compiled with LabVIEW 7.x (5 years ago), yet shipped with TS 4.  Anyhow, if this is the cause, the solution is to:

Open the top level VI and any dynamically called VIs (i.e. VIs called by VI Server).

Holding down Ctrl and Shift, press the Run arrow to recompile all VIs in memory.

File >> Save All (or Ctrl-Shift-S)

Rebuild your EXE.

-Jason

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 02-14-2009 10:28 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31
(11,972 Views)

Open the top level VI and any dynamically called VIs (i.e. VIs called by VI Server).

Holding down Ctrl and Shift, press the Run arrow to recompile all VIs in memory.

File >> Save All (or Ctrl-Shift-S)

Rebuild your EXE.

OK I tried this and it made no difference to the app on my client's PC.

I tried uninstalling all NI apps off of my wifes PC and tested again.

Still worked fine on her PC

He has since sent the app to NI support and it works fine for them.

Just doesn't work on his PC.

Any more ideas?

Cheers,

Paul.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(11,943 Views)

If the application is as simple as you say (i.e. there are no special toolkits requiring external installers, no external DLLs, not using DCOM, etc.), you've recompiled everything to the same version, your client has the RTE for that version, and you've gone through your client's firewall settings (per the link I referenced above), then I'm running out of ideas.  Maybe have the client turn the firewall completely off.  If this setting is disabled for them, have them stop the "Windows Firewall..." service temporarily.

The only thing you really can do at this point is try a fresh machine yourself...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(11,917 Views)

The last time this happened to me I narrowed down the problem to a specific VI, though the development environment did not identify any problems with the VI. A force-compile didn't fix the problem. I recreated the VI from scratch and that fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(11,902 Views)

Ashbaernon,

This error message has been seen before by users who distribute their application to someone who has the run time engine, but not the .NET framework.  If your VI uses any .NET calls, this could be the source of your error.

ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 10 of 31
(11,895 Views)