From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The distribute object tools often crashes LabVIEW 2017

Solved!
Go to solution

I am having lots of LV crashes. My system is Win7 x64, LabVIEW 2017 32bit installed.

I include a snippet below, please try to play with it, I am interested if you can crash your LV2017 copy too? Of course, save all your work before!!! Just pull the snippet, or recreate something similar. It looks like these crashes are not produced at every distribute objects actions, but at every second/third try roughly...

Steps to try to reproduce LV crash: go to the block diagram, and select all objects. Now try to use the "Vertical centers", or the "Horizontal centers" alignment actions. You might need to go back a few times (Ctrl+z) and repeat.

(Of course these distribute object actions on this particular snippet do not make too much sense, this example only for demonstration) .

Please report back, if you manage to crash your LV dev environment...

crash_new1.png

Message 1 of 18
(4,402 Views)

I can't drop your image into LV.  Seems like a problem that Jeff has reported. http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Community/Snippets-are-broken/m-p/3659159#M14793

So I quickly created a blank VI and copied in 15 numeric controls.  I did not see a crash with them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,396 Views)

Ok, I try to attach the png as a file. The forum has a new insert photos pop-up tool, it might killing the snippet pngs?

Hmm, it is also good and bad that you cannot reproduce the crashes. It does not happen 100% for me, please try it several times, highlight all objects, and select a distribute tool. If it does not crash it, go back with ctrl+z, and try another tool...

crash_new1.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,391 Views)

That one I can drop.  I think you solved that problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,387 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

That one I can drop.  I think you solved that problem.

That problem yes 🙂 I think the forum engine destroys the snippet png code content if you use the "drag&drop" option to add your snippet to the forum "insert picture" dialog window (i drag&droped the png file from Total Commander window). It looks like you have to use the "select file" option...

People, keep trying, and crash your LV2017 copy! I will not sleep tonight if we do not see another crash at least! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,378 Views)

I have gotten this problem a lot as well! It even happens with only 2 or 3 items I'm trying to distribute. I noticed the problem is more likely when I'm working on a VI that has more code on it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,341 Views)

I am guessing it's something to do with the undo info.  I know that, even in LV 2015, I'll get some internal errors having to do with undo stuff if it's a big VI, but it never crashes.  Maybe this is similar?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,332 Views)

I'm seeing this issue as well with LabVIEW 2017 on Windows 7 x64 when using a project with many VIs.

If I Save All each time right before using the distribute tool it does not seem to crash.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,328 Views)

@shansen1 wrote:

I'm seeing this issue as well with LabVIEW 2017 on Windows 7 x64 when using a project with many VIs.

If I Save All each time right before using the distribute tool it does not seem to crash.

That gives my theory a little boost, because your undo history for a VI is deleted when you save it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,320 Views)

Has anyone at NI been able to duplicate this issue, and is there a CAR assigned yet? I am experiencing multiple LV 2017 crashes each day when using the distribute tool in the manner described earlier in this thread.

Issuing a "Save All" before using the distribute tool almost always prevents the crashes from occurring. This crash is occurring in projects with several hundred VIs and multiple LVOOP classes, LV 2017 32-bit on Windows 7 x64.

Message 10 of 18
(4,230 Views)