LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temerature and relative humidity sensor in Labview

Hi,

Is anyone know any temerature and relative humidity sensor that is compatible to Labview? And how to show the measured temperature and humidity in the labview program? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,658 Views)

Anything is compatible with LabVIEW.  It is a programming language so you can program LabVIEW to do what you want.

Now the question is, what are your requirements?

Do you want one that is analog based and requires a data acquisition card?  Or one that digitally communicates, either through a serial port or through Ethernet?

What's your price target?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,638 Views)

I prefer a sensor with digitally communicates. I have a sensor with ethernet cable, but how to connect that to my labview to collect data.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,631 Views)

Does it come with a manual to tell you how to communicate with it?

Does this sensor have a brand name and model number?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,604 Views)

It's onset THA-M006. (https://eng.ucmerced.edu/snsjho/files/San_Joaquin/Sensors_and_Loggers/Onset/Smart_Sensors/STHAM006_R...) In its manual, a logger and their own software is needed for collecting data. But can I use labview to collect data? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,600 Views)

Since their software can collect data, then LabVIEW could.  BUT!  for all the googling I did I have yet to find any manual that describes their communication protocol.  It seems they want to keep it a secret.  I found this link https://manualzz.com/doc/7294185/hobo-lcd-logger-temp-rh-user-s-manual, but it can be hard to read since it is horizontal and the pages aren't in order.  It is like what you would need to print if you printed it double sided, and cut and folded it into a book yourself.  And you'd probably have to do that 3 times until you got the printer settings right.

Page 12 says talks about RS-232 and downloading to PC or Palm handheld.  It's been 20 years since I last heard Palm mentioned.  This tells you it is an ancient device.  It might still work, but they haven't even bothered to updated the documentation in decades.

You *might* be able to use their software and use a serial port sniffer to capture their data stream and decode it.  Then you could write your own commands in LabVIEW.  My take is that it is not worth the trouble with this device.

My first thought would be to take a look at www.omega.com.  They list a number of temperature/humidity loggers.  Though many seem to be stand along loggers that you would need to periodically plug in and download the data.  Their software will save it as a text file.  You could later read that text file and process it in LabVIEW.

I don't know what your exact needs are, but something like that may work.  If you need something digitally based (e.g. serial, Ethernet) that you can do continuous logging and display as it collects data, some of these may not be it.  You may want to look at a temperature/humidity sensor with analog outputs, and use an inexpensive DAQ device to read them.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,573 Views)

You can use something like this

Dewpointmirror

reading the well dokumented RS232 connection is no problem with LabVIEW 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,534 Views)

Thank you so much. But as my old logger is borken, I have to find other ways to collect data. What I really need is find some way that can direactly show the temperature and humidity data in the labview. That way I can monitor this data while I run a experiment system. Is there a sensor or sensor+logger that can direactly connect to labview to make sure I can direactly get the data with time in the labview program panel? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,495 Views)

Besides what RavensFan asked...

How much accuracy do you need?

Do you need NIST tractable calibration?

What power is available?

What is the application? (besides just measuring temperature and humidity)

This could be as cheap and simple as a DHT11 sensor and an Arduino or as expensive and complex as a dedicated piece of test equipment depending on your requirements.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,479 Views)