LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging Source Code Control for versions

We use LV 6.1 built-in source code control to  back our projects up.  It appears that  the LV SCC is designed such that only the latest source code can be pulled down and compiled. There are some instances where we need to recreate the SCC as it existed for previous builds. What we do now is burn a CD of the source each time a compile occurs so if we need to recreate the source we do it by accessing these CDs. Is there any way to mark and access software versions of our source code via the SCC itself? There seems to be an unlimited backups option on the SCC configuration window. That would lead me to believe that backup copies of vi's are kept which might imply that tagging is possible. Any info on all this would be appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,745 Views)

The best solution is to dump the SCC built into LV and try Subversion. Open Source, free, works great, easy to set up, free, very powerful, secure--and did I mention free...

http://subversion.tigris.org/

Then to provide a nice Windows interface to your code repository, TortoiseSVN (also open source, free, etc, etc)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Finally, to integrate it with LV Pro version, lvdiff (recently upgraded (yesterday!) to provide enhanced features and improved error handling -- also free)

http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/meta-diff/lvdiff-2.2-win32.zip

If this is interesting I have a document I can post that covers how to install and configure things on the client end, Subversion's documentation describes how to setup the server.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 14
(4,742 Views)
Mike,
   I'm trying to implement SVN for SSC and I think I'm going to need that document. Can you post it please?

thanks,
kph
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,683 Views)
I would also be interested in that document. Is it possible to utilize SVN directly from LabVIEW 8.0, and if so, using what client? I am just getting into this now, but my brief examination of tortoise svn via the web site doesn't seem to indicate this. There appears to be a Push OK plugin for svn, and if it works like it supposedly does for CVS with LabVIEW, than this seems like an option. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try any of this out yet. I'd be happy to report back with my findings once I do.

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,615 Views)
Looks like I may have found a solution. I guess I should have started by searching for "Subversion" instead of svn...

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=150054&query.id=73519#M150054

It looks like the PushOK plugin may work as expected, but maybe not with diffing

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,609 Views)
I've installed all the applicative described in this post, and all of them is working fine, but I'm having a problem to configure CVSROOT. I want to change  CVSROOT inside LabVIEW8.0 but my changes doesn't have efect at all. I change CVSROOT for one desired project, when I want to change for another project my changes doesn't have any efect, it still at the first CVSROOT and I can't change it. Does any body have any issue about this problem?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,468 Views)
Regarding the CVROOT issue, is the current configuration valid or is it no longer valid and that is why you are changing it? There is an issue with trying to reconfigure LabVIEW's source control configuration if the original configuration is not valid. What you could try to do is choose None as your selected provider and then select SVN again using your new CVSROOT. It's been a while since I tried SVN so perhaps there is something else to change on the server side as well.
George M
National Instruments
Message 7 of 14
(4,453 Views)
Hi , I would also like to see those documents. I'v just insatlled it for LV8 and I'm not sure if I've done it right. Can't get the LVDiff to work.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,367 Views)

Mike

I'm going to implement SVN for LabVIEW. Can you send me your document?´

Thanks

Marian

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,323 Views)
Here's the document. I wrote it specifically for the way we are using it here where I work so there are some references to specific directories and such that might not be applicable, but the basic information should be helpful.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 10 of 14
(4,319 Views)