From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS Write to Auto-populating folder causes Cursor Flicker

Solved!
Go to solution

I've attached a project (LV 8.6) demonstrating this problem.  When writing to a TDMS file in an auto-populating folder, the cursor changes briefly to an hour glass.  This behavior is not seen when a folder is not monitored by LabVIEW Project via auto-population.

Run VI.

Toggle "Auto-populating" to True and wait 10 seconds to see flicker.

Toggle "Auto-populating" to False and flicker stops.

-Jason

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
Message 1 of 3
(2,710 Views)

Hi Jason,

The following link to another post suggests that everytime you write to the file, LabVIEW tries to update the folder at the same time and causing the cursor to flicker (http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=374980).  I noticed that you had posted on this thread; did it answer your question?

Message Edited by Kyle S. on 12-17-2008 02:42 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,668 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LabBEAN

Hi Kyle,

In forum you referenced, mvickerman's question about the cursor flicker centered around closing and flushing a file.  The actual cause was that file operations were being conducted on a file that resided in a folder that LabVIEW project was auto-populating.  I started a new thread to document the issue more directly in case others are seeing a similar issue (e.g. writing to a file and seeing a cursor flicker).

If the flicker bothers someone during development, they can stop auto-populating on the folder with the data file or manually include the data file at the root level of the project.  Despite what the solution says on that forum, the problem does not appear to be the data file merely being in the project, but in an auto-populating folder.

As I said there:

"For the record, I still choose to use Auto-populating folders.  I built the demo project to prove to myself that Auto-populating folders caused the issue.  Like most, we build applications (EXEs) for customers, and the data files do not lie within the development hierarchy.  For that matter, the customer doesn't typically have the LabVIEW project open if they have LabVIEW at all.

So, deployment resolves the issue."

Take care, 

Jason

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,663 Views)