LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP Reads Junk String.

Hi,

I am using a software called EddyUSB, it sends the data over Ethernet if we configure the port address, and its doing the same. But when i tries to read the data using Labview TCP/IP read pallet, its giving some junk string as "€  €   €   €   €  €  €  €" this. Is there any particular conversion i need to do or am i doing anything incorrect.1.JPG2.JPG

Thankyou

Harisiam

Never send a human to do a machine's job.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,072 Views)

Hi,

I am using a software called EddyUSB, it sends the data over Ethernet if we configure the port address, and its doing the same. But when i tries to read the data using Labview TCP/IP read pallet, its giving some junk string as "€  €   €   €   €  €  €  €" this. Is there any particular conversion i need to do or am i doing anything incorrect.

Thankyou

Harisiam

Never send a human to do a machine's job.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,062 Views)

It looks like a byte-encoding problem.  Try converting the string you read into an array of U8 and see if the numbers give you (or us) a clue.  Also, why not attach the actual VI next time (so we can "play with it" without having to generate it ourselves, by hand)?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,063 Views)

Hi Harisiam,

I am using a software called EddyUSB … its giving some junk string

What about reading the manual for this "EddyUSB" to understand what the data format is?

What about comparing received data (as U8 array) with expected data? (Which data do you expect when you receive these € chars?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,049 Views)

Is the € a mutlibyte header?  I'm not particularly good with these things, but maybe it's returning stuff in a mutlibyte format.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,023 Views)

In one way or another, everything is just bits. Your "string" is just a flat collection of bytes and it will be up to your program to unflatten it according to the actual contents. Most bytes don't represent printable characters so the first thing you should do is right-click the string indiacator and switch to hex format.

I am sure the manual will tell you exactly what the bytes mean. Did you read it. How many bytes do you expect? What do they represent? What is the byte order (little/big endian), etc.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,020 Views)

If the sender is also a LabVIEW program, see how the data is sent. That should tell you all that's needed. If not, read the manual as already mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,017 Views)

For those playing along as Hex [AC20 2000 2000.......]

Or 172 Space NUL Space NUL....

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,014 Views)