LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Table indicator - Enter on any selected field spawns a File Dialog (to load)

Solved!
Go to solution

I just realized that when you select a field in a Table, and press Enter button, a File Dialog appears, and you can load ascii data into the table. I wanted to disable this feature, but I cannot find it in any of the Table settings. As a workaround, I managed to disable this to happen by capturing any "Key Down?" Event, and discarding it.

Is there any other way to disable this feature?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,950 Views)

What version of LabVIEW?  Are you talking about a table control on the front panel?

I can't replicate what you are saying.  In LV16, once I select one of the cells and hit enter, the cursor just jumps to the cell below.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,943 Views)

LV 2015 SP1 32bit. System Table indicator. I can post vi tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,932 Views)

Ok, I got access to LV now. I managed to reduce my code into a small chunk, and reproduce the behaviour. It looks like this happens with a combination of a Boolean button used to prompt user to select file to load its data into the table. Somehow when I click into a field of this Table indicator, and press Enter key, the key focus jumps to the "Import" button, and triggers its Event case.

It is not really clear to me why this happens. I guess this is intended???

Here is the snippet, VI tested in LV2015/2016, same result:

Testing_Table_beh_BD.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,910 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

@Blokk wrote:

Ok, I got access to LV now. I managed to reduce my code into a small chunk, and reproduce the behaviour. It looks like this happens with a combination of a Boolean button used to prompt user to select file to load its data into the table. Somehow when I click into a field of this Table indicator, and press Enter key, the key focus jumps to the "Import" button, and triggers its Event case.

It is not really clear to me why this happens. I guess this is intended???

Here is the snippet, VI tested in LV2015/2016, same result:

Testing_Table_beh_BD.png

Intended but the developer that set-up the keyboard short cut for the "Import" button.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 8
(2,903 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Don't beat yourself up to bad once you read the next sentence.

You have key navigation on that Import File button set to Toggle on the enter key.  Hitting enter anywhere on the VI causes it to activate.  It is not directly related to the table.

EDIT:  Ahhh!  Ben beat me to it while I was figuring it out.

Message 6 of 8
(2,900 Views)

Haha, this is what I just did not check. I have NO idea how this button got this setting! I never program such key toggle for my buttons. I also checked, none of the system ,silver, System Controls 2.0, etc buttons have this by default.

Thanks, next time when I see such behaviour, I will know immediately where to check. Crazy, no idea how it got this setting... 🙂

edit: ok, figured out what tricked me! Curse on the "User Interface Event Handler" template! I used that as starting point! 😄

The "Command 1" button has this preset... Robot Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,894 Views)

Quoting my Grandfather "Loose nut behind the wheel."

I have done worse.

I once posted a Boolean that I simply could not get it to change states no matter what I did.

Dennis came right back and pointed out it was "disabled' but not "disabled and greyed out".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 8
(2,883 Views)